How much evaporation do you have this winter?

stingythingy45

BRS Member
Between the cold dry winter air and the wood stove.
I'm easily topping off with 20 gallons of ro/di weekly.::
What's everybody else going through. And have you gotten behind on topping off?
I have an ATO system, but still need to turn it on so as not to make ro/di in little batches.
I've run my pump dry a couple times.:rolleyes:

I would cry if I had to top off that much but , I'm doing about 2 gallons or so ery two weeks, very thankful for my nano lol

About 3 gallons daily. And I have gotten behind a few times. Same as you. Have ATO but do t make RODI in small batches. Have a 5 gallon reservoir and a 5 gallon reserve. Currently making water every day.

Coral junkie, I would bet that having a hood helps. I don't know about bob but my tank and sump are both open tops. I wish I had a hood right now. Lol.

I have a canopy over the DT sump, is open top. But, that doesn't help evaporation. Only helps bleed out from the halides.
I also run a fan in the canopy.

I am at 3 to 4 daily. I do have a whole house humidifier though because we have forced hot air. Probably be up to 5 if we didn't. I have a 25 gallon top off reservoir. And a separate 5 gallon Kalk reservoir both adding to the tank.

Last edited:
Depends on the tanks. The 14G biocube with its lid is evaporating now let say something like 1/4 of a gallon per week. The 12G SPS that is almost open ( do not have a full lid ) and the fudge is open with a lot of water movement (wave maker etc) evapoarates 2 G/week.

75 with glass tops, basically hermetical, the only thing open is the sump inside the stand. running the tank at 77 and the house at 70, forced hot air; 1+gal a day.

I thought I was evaporating a lot - looks like I have it better than I thought.

My tank is evaporating like 3 gallons daily. I'm running open top and open sump. I've been making ro/di like every other day pretty much and it's easy to get behind. The ATO really helps though as long as the reservoir is full :cool:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I am up, haven't been able to judge yet since switching over to halide again but I'd guess I'm in the 2.5-3 gpd mark. My ATO is tied into a 5.5 gallon tank under the stand, but it's being constantly fed from a 34 gallon RODI container in the basement by a 1.1ml dosing pump. With the led's last week the doser was beating evaporation; I can tell in just 48hrs of MH that evaporation is now beating a 7/24 1.1ml dosing pump.

About 1 gallon per day in my 65 gallon. I can only make 4-5 days with my 5.5 gallon ato tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

about 1 gallon per day in open top 54g DT and 10g sump. DT in same room as wood stove. 5g ATO reservoir. I am thinking it is a free humidifier for house. Plus the extra evaporation allows me to add more kalk with the topoff. I am wondering if I am going to need to start dosing alk/cal this summer.

I never really use to use that much water or at least never noticed how much evaporation prior to changing out my hoses to the sump. Once I did that about 1.5yrs ago I seem to go through about 1 quart a day. I really have not noticed much of a difference from summer to winter, but I would say that I am using slightly more during the winter months due to the air being dry.

Man, don't even mention this!

I know I have asked about this at least once this winter already. I have come to the conclusion I need to get a bigger reservoir, my 7G is driving me nuts! I am probably going through 2-3G per day instead of about 1-2 during summer. It's been hard to keep up with it and I even had to cut back on how much Kalk/vinegar I add to it since I dose it through my ATO.

Higor

I have no idea on my 125, and I don't want to know! :) For 4 of my tanks, I use a small rubbermaid container (around 1 gallon capacity I would say) fed direct by my RO/DI using a float switch. ATO tops off from there. So I never see how much I am using. My only other tank is a 46BF with a glass top and HOB 'fuge. That one goes through about 1 gallon per week in the winter vs. around 1/2 gallon in the summer.

I'm going to make a cover for my sump, and I already have a hood on my display.
I'm probably using about 2-3 quarts per day, house is super dry this winter for sure.

Steve

I evap about 1/2 gallon a day in my Red Sea 250. I only refill my 5 gallon bucket underneath about once a week so it doesn't run out.

-Joe

Back