How to get gsp on back

absolutecarrot

Non-member
I am trying to get my gsp to grow on the back glass. Im not sure if I have to do anything or just lay it next to the glass and wait. Has anyone done this or have any tips on how to do it.

I got a magnetic frag plug that I attached the gsp to then placed it on whatever wall I wanted it and it would grow off the plug onto the wall.

Mine would grow fine on the back glass after gluing to a plug on the glass, but once it spread 3 or 4 inches from the plug, it would always peel off the glass in a big sheet and look bad. The peeling may depend on the specific strain you have and the flow in the tank, but my guess is that this may also happen with most GSP. I think you need to have a base-rock that is epoxied to the glass first.

Just don’t let it get away from you, it is tenacious! I let it overgrow my overflow boxes and liked the look, but then had to razor blade my overflow teeth weekly, as it would clog my drain otherwise.
Good point! I didn’t think of that!!!

I waited til the black plastic back of my biocube had a good coat of micro algae, and some coralline, and glued a couple frags of cyphastrea to it. It’s taken off beautifully!! I think I’m going to loosely surround my over flow with rubble or maybe shells I’ve collected so as it encroaches the overflow I can remove them and give them away, or what ever. I’m not sure how well a razor will slide between encrusted coral and the plastic.... hmmmmm.

I also have a little sunset monti that has taken off on the back wall where the Tonga branch I glued it to is braced on the way. It’s a much slower grower lol the cyphastrea is going bananas lol

I’ve always loved the look of gsp on a back wall or as a carpet for bare bottomed tanks. Just afraid of the spread!

Attachments

• 1E3550BB-0BEC-4669-A5A9-1F11F5406D62.jpeg
    1E3550BB-0BEC-4669-A5A9-1F11F5406D62.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 409

I waited til the black plastic back of my biocube had a good coat of micro algae, and some coralline, and glued a couple frags of cyphastrea to it. It’s taken off beautifully!! I think I’m going to loosely surround my over flow with rubble or maybe shells I’ve collected so as it encroaches the overflow I can remove them and give them away, or what ever. I’m not sure how well a razor will slide between encrusted coral and the plastic.... hmmmmm.

I also have a little sunset monti that has taken off on the back wall where the Tonga branch I glued it to is braced on the way. It’s a much slower grower lol the cyphastrea is going bananas lol

I’ve always loved the look of gsp on a back wall or as a carpet for bare bottomed tanks. Just afraid of the spread!
That looks like an alien mouth in outer space.

Looks good great job.

The GSP is on the back looking great, when I got it of the plug there was a little piece left behind with 4 polyps. I guess I unintentionally fragged some gsp

DESTROY IT !! LOL.

But glue that portion as well away from the one you already glued will only help make it spread faster..

I'm sure there could even be an argument if you cut one piece of gsp into several that it would spread faster (cover more area) as each piece has more surface area to expand...????

Back