How to grow a good crop of Coralline Algae

joefish

Non-member
OK!! I have had saltwater tanks for many years now but never seem to get my rocks covered in Coralline Algae, like some people do. What is your secret for good growth????..:)

Calcium and magnesium along with throwing in some established coraline covered rocks. I would add strong light but my sump/fuge is covered in it with just a cheap Home Depot compact flourescent. Last but not least good maintenance.
Hopefully some others will throw in there 2cents.

The best Coraline I had ever seen was MattL 125. It looked like he painted all his rocks. Mine seems to go in cycles. I had almost full coverage of my rocks, and then it seems to go away. I have heard high Phosphates kills it, to strong light, and high nitrates, not really sure what makes it disappear. I dont know what the secret is, if I did I would bottle it and call it Purple Up;). I think just keeping your levels up(cal,alk, and mag) and it will grow.

GoodLuck Derek

I treat it like an sps coral, adequate light and good calcium levels. I seeded my tank with a couple rocks covered in it. Not sure if it helps or not but I always scratched it/chipped it off the rocks and let it float around my tank.

ive seen videos on youtube of ppl taking small rocks with good coraline coverage and scraping it off, chopping it up as fine as possible and then releasing the bits into the current

Like everyone said, keep your levels (magnesium and calcium) up. Mine will grow in spots but will disappear when the urchins go over the rocks.

purple up

images

The best Coraline I had ever seen was MattL 125. It looked like he painted all his rocks. Mine seems to go in cycles. I had almost full coverage of my rocks, and then it seems to go away. I have heard high Phosphates kills it, to strong light, and high nitrates, not really sure what makes it disappear. I dont know what the secret is, if I did I would bottle it and call it Purple Up;). I think just keeping your levels up(cal,alk, and mag) and it will grow.

GoodLuck Derek

All my Cal,Alk and Mag levels are always good but its funny that you said strong light can kill it. I have heard that same thing from other people. I have 8X54 watt t5s on my 90g and the Coraline seems to grow better in more shady areas.

Mine disappears from those Lil bastard starfish!

My tank was full of purple untile the little starfish came as well. They are everywhere. I posted about them a while back, but everyone seemed to feel they were harmless. I may start plucking the little fockers out of there.

My tank was full of purple untile the little starfish came as well. They are everywhere. I posted about them a while back, but everyone seemed to feel they were harmless. I may start plucking the little fockers out of there.

I believe a Harlequin shrimp eats them. aka sexy shrimp

I get florescent colors from my actinic lights. I have red, green & orange glowing. Constant temp @78* but use an external filter instead of a sump. I have lots growing. My lr was live when got it. I also use phytoplankton every day

Back