how to properly sterilize a tank

MofoCorals

Previously - elmafioso52988
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I bought a all in one tank from a fellow reefer and once o set it up it started to grow bryopsis on the walls of the tank. How would I go about killing it. Would chlorine do it? I already tried a vinegar dip and the algae laughed at me.

Are you taking the animals out and such. Because if that's the case and there is no livestock and no live rock in the tank I would just drain it and fill with fresh water and vinegar and let the pumps circulate for a few days.

I would use a spray bottle with bleach inside of it. Spray it down and let it sit. Then scrape it off after it is all dead.

I tried the vinegar dip for 3 day and the bryopsis returned 2 weeks later. I was wondering if there were other options other than chlorine. Afraid that if I fully stock the tank the corals will become infested with bryopsis. I want to fully sterilize the tank in order to not have to worry about it any more.

I had bryopsis or something very similar that I could not get rid of no matter what. When I broke the tank down I refilled it with water and two big bottles of peroxide and I let the pumps mix it all up for a few days then I drained it and filled it back up with just water and let it run a few days to rinse everything out then I drained it and let it dry. It worked great

I would run the tank with water and vinegar for couple days. Empty it then run it with water and bleach for a couple days. Empty it and run it with just water. Then drain and let dry.

If it comes back find some safety goggles and smash it with a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Bryopsis outbreak earlier this year. I tried everything to eliminate it. In the end I found that using Kent Marine Tech M magnesium will kill it. I had to bring the Mag level up 1900 for about 3 weeks before it was all gone. The bryopsis just melted away and has not returned. Google it, there's tons of success stories out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bring your phosphates down below 0.03 and maintain it there and your problem should be eliminated.
Are you putting any egg crate in the tank? Just wondering because there's a couple different kinds and I had trouble with one of them. Styrene I think?

I would run the tank with water and vinegar for couple days. Empty it then run it with water and bleach for a couple days. Empty it and run it with just water. Then drain and let dry.

If it comes back find some safety goggles and smash it with a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LMAO Best advise ever

I ended up going the hydrogen peroxide rout. I just poured a couple of containers in this morning. I had tried some in the past and it did work for a couple of my tank. Had totally forgotten about that option.

I had a Bryopsis outbreak earlier this year. I tried everything to eliminate it. In the end I found that using Kent Marine Tech M magnesium will kill it. I had to bring the Mag level up 1900 for about 3 weeks before it was all gone. The bryopsis just melted away and has not returned. Google it, there's tons of success stories out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The tank is currently just running rock. Took a more aggressive approach to ensure its is completely gone before I introduce anything else into it.

Will let you know how it goes. From what I can tell it should do the job since 2 minutes after using the peroxide the algae was already drooping.

Alagae lost all its color. Just clear fiber now.

Look like it worked. Will leave it running for a few days to make sure.

Back