Hungry Coral

mvallee

Non-member
I made a little too much food for my fish tonight and broke out the turkey baster to spot feed my corals, I keep thinking back to the experienced reefer I got some of my corals from stating he has not fed any corals in the three + years he owned them including the Symphyllia brain pictured but man when I feed they sure seem hungry.

I mostly feed Larrys frozen foods with PE Mysis and or brine cubes mixed in but I do add 2 capfuls of zoo plankton or baby Brine shrimp cubes every couple days so the filter feeders can eat.

When I see the feeding response of some of the corals I wonder if I should be target feeding more. Thoughts? how often do you feed your LPS's and things like the brain and button polyp.

My Button Polyp Coral pretty funny I don't think it ever responds the same and this one looks like it wants to give me a kiss
hungry (2 of 2).jpg

and one of my brains really opened up this time, I added a couple red hawkfish recently so now the shrimp are all hiding so the brains can stay open longer without being harassed by the skunk cleaner shrimp, sometimes things work out I guess.
hungry (1 of 2).jpg

here are the brains 90 minutes later, still slightly swollen the second one kinda red and purple is growing like crazy over the past few weeks but never really opens up like the one in front, not really sure what to expect from it but just glad something is going right

hungry (1 of 1).jpg

Very nice pictures. Something was most likely spawn. Do you have shrimps? My cleaner shrimps spawned all the time and my corals and fish goes nuts.

Don't have much LPS at the moment but I never feed mine. My fish are pretty well fed nowadays and I think that enough for the tank.

Back