i have stray voltage and need some thoughts and ideas plz...

pallobi

Neal
as you read it... i am getting a slight shock tonite... any thoughts or ways to control this? any help is greatly appreciated guys... TY in advance...

i have a feeling it maybe one of my skimmer pumps, but i will check it tonite by turning them off and seeing what happens then... guess ill check my turning all submerged components in my system off, one by one, and test for a small shock by playing the role of the experimental guinea pig lol

Hi Neal: My bet is a bad heater only because they are more prone to this. Couple of suggestions: If you have a volt meter, might want to see if you can measure the stray voltage between the water and a house ground. The shock may be slight right now but that could change at any time and we'd hate to loose you here on the forum :)
Also may want to consider picking up a ground probe and GFI protection for your setup.

Good luck.

it is likely a pump or heater like everyone else is mentioning.........................

with the long weekend u might want to debug it before it gets worse

This reminds me I have to install the this weeked and get a new power strip.
I've already been shocked twice this year. Ow.

Hi Neal: My bet is a bad heater only because they are more prone to this. Couple of suggestions: If you have a volt meter, might want to see if you can measure the stray voltage between the water and a house ground. The shock may be slight right now but that could change at any time and we'd hate to loose you here on the forum :)
Also may want to consider picking up a ground probe and GFI protection for your setup.

Good luck.
+ 1 ^
Neal ,
Sorry to hear that . I have seen diy ato's , korilla ph and heater's be the cause .
It is not the voltage to worry about but the current .. Better to use a voltmeter to complete the circuit than ur self .
Like stated above u have to use both the grounding probe and the gfci . Just a grounding probe is not kosher since it does not kill the power source ..

HTH

how is your light attached i have actually had current travel down the light stands on the tank solved by putting rubber everywhere is touched the tank. also build up of salt around light is never good, and make sure thepower strip if high enough so water does not travel straight down inside it.

hey thanks for all the responses guys... lets start with a few notes...

I do not use a heater, well in the summer at least... the last one i had blew anyway as it came in contact with air, un-beknown to me... now that was a shock lol...

i wouldnt think its the power strips as i use American DJ strips and they are made heavy duty, and made very well... but i guess i'll have to learn a bit more about them...

it could definately be one of the two koralias in my 65g "fuge"... they are the old, original models, so they are at least 4 years old... they are currently unplugged and i dont feel anything... well a little sting in a small cut on my finger, but i think that is jus the saltwater hitting it lol...

my light is actually hanging from the ceiling and none of it is in contact with my tank or plumbing etc... so i dont think this would be it... but worth a mention none the less, ty...

at the moment, i have my skimmer offline as it has 2 pumps, i have both of the older koralias offline, as well as the coralife power center that was powering the Koralias (i need another DJ strip for that section of my system)... i what i think i will do, is plug in one item at a time and see if any of them cause a shock... i'll start with that, and go from there...

i really hope its not a skimmer pump, as i dont have the loot right now to purchase new ones, nor do i have a second skimmer... though i have been meaning to get new pumps for a while now, but the ones i want are gonna run me at least 400 bones lol...

i'll check out some things here now, and post back if i find anything...

thanks again guys! any and all input is ALWAYS APPRECIATED

old Koralias seem to be the culprits :) ... i had a 3 and a 4 for circulation in my 65g "fuge"... the 4 was worse giving me a little zing, but the 3 wasnt perfect either... they have both been removed, and no more shock :)

Back