I need a new light for a 50 Gallon Oceanic Tank

SCHUYLERDR

Non-member
The tank dimensions are as follows 50 (Oceanic) — 30.5L x 18.5W x 21H. I work in a non-profit Group home and Live on the ground one of my guys in the house was mad at me and knocked the 30 in current metal halide into the take and killed the light! :( :mad: So im in the market for a new light I want to go with L.E.D.s but don't want to break the bank on a light. I want to do corals but haven't had any up to this point. I want to do the following corals over time as I gain more experience with corals. Zoanthids, Palyothoa, Hammer, pulsing Xenia, Toadstool Leather, candy cane, and a Frogspawn I'm going to start off with the easier corals and work my way up to more difficult corals. I want a light that i can use for all types of corals. Thanks in advance for all the help and info.

David

Do you want something that is highly controllable from a reef controller? Or something with it's own built in control?

If the later, I HIGHLY recommend Maxspect RAZR. They are a fantastic value, the built in controller is great and the spectrum on the LEDs is better than many of the more popular/expensive fixtures. (Note how they include violet LEDs. These help hit the peak for chlorophyll A, which is something that is lacking in lights with only blue/royal blue). I've had one for a couple of years for my frag tank. The design is great and build quality is excellent. That is why I consider it such a great value.

If, on the other hand, you want something that can be highly controlled by interfacing with an Apex or other controller... well there are a lot of choices there. Hehe. But either way, keep an eye out for the presence of violet (not to be confused with UV) LEDs in whatever you ultimately decide on. Your livestock will thank you! :)

Back