i need help deciding on fish for a 55

I know it's tough to do - most people here know that but you really might want to slow it down and give the tank a chance.

what about the fish im just trying to plan teh fish for my tank so i know wick ones will work together in not adding anney soon but should i do a water change

Some of the sites like saltwaterfish.com & liveaquria have compatibility chart in the livestock charts that you may want to look at, as for the 55 and a Yellow Tang I personally would say no - I have a YT in my 72 and feel that is prob the smallest tank for that fish, thats just my opinion.

As for the water change - I may be wrong here but I would say no, let the tank cycle out, you may not have enough rock to make that happen very fast. I think 14 days is way to early to be adding fish, unless I misunderstood how long your tank has been up.

I did not do my 1st water change until several weeks after my tank was fully cycled, and it was a small one.

You are right, the clowns should not have been added yet. The live rock would have been sufficient to start the cycle. This is a mistake many have made before you, it is tough to resist when starting your first tank and you do not fully appreciate all that it takes to get things running. People often use this approach to jump start their tank's ammonia cycle, the problem with this is, the fish are exposed to extremely poor conditions, in fact, they often die as a result of toxic ammonia build-up.

This being said, I would not do a water change, this will only prolong the time required to cycle the tank. You should not worry about water changes until your ammonia cycle is complete, after that, if you have only fish and a couple of "polyps" (again, after the cycle), you will be doing regular water changes to control nitrates and phosphates that build up in the system from decomposing fish waste and excess food.

Be patient, err on the side of caution, and pay close attention to what input you get from members of this site. We have learned much from many people here, and continue to learn, as will you. I believe you will find people more forthcoming on "what fish to buy" when they see you are progressing in the right direction and can provide a good, concientious home for them.

I hope this has helped, and welcome to the club!

-Dave and Gina

ya i was going to do the thing with teh shrimp but when i got to teh fish store and told me i could get two clown fish they would be fine i jumped on it because i would much rather have two fish in my tank than a rotting piece of shrimp

Last edited:
Fish for a 55

Yellow Clown gobies are really small and they have a lot of personality. That would be a hearty starter fish. A blue damsel (not a yellow tail damsel--those grow large and tend to be aggressive). neon gobies, blue green reef chromis ( 3 or 5 keep in odd numbers) and a watchman goby are all reef safe fish that are possibilities.

Try not to add too much at a time. You want to watch your bioload and go slowly adding a couple at a time. If you go to liveaquaria.com there is a section of beginner fish. You can see pictures, how much tank size is recommended and also what they eat, if they are reef safe and there is a chart showing what fish are compatible. You want fish that are peaceful and also get along relatively well together.

Some of the salt water fish are nicely colored, large and really expensive. Stay away from those for the time being. They usually take more mature tanks and special care. Some of them eat corals.

What do you have in the tank now? I may be able to help with a couple of corals when your tank has been running for a while. I live in westwood so it would be not to far.

does anney one know anney fish that would do really good in a 55 gallon tank and get a long with my clown fish and possible be reef safe. one of my biggest questions is i put a post about this yesterday and didn't get much response im wondering a a yellow tang would do in my 55 gallon tank and how long would it take for him to out grow teh tank if i got him as a juvenile. i am so confused please help me the yellow tang is one of teh fish that lured me in to the hobby and its kind of sad to hear i cant get him. ya a norther thought fish i like dwarf bass, gobbys, jaw fish, grandmas are they good fish to keep.

Dwarf Sea Bass

The dwarf Sea Bass will probably eat any of your other small fish. I would avoid that fish. They are nice to look at.

Barnes and Nobles has a hardbound book on Marine Fish by Axlerod for $4.99.
That will show you pictures of fish, it will tell if they are reef safe. I bought one and also donated one to the Boston Reefers Society Library.

If you join the club, you can go to meetings and also borrow books from the library and return them the next month.

thanks i like teh jaw fish but i dint think i want to go for teh 5 inch sand bed. i just don't like that algae that grows in the sand with tanks with deep sand beds. i mean the problem with trying to find information from on line web sites is there all different. one will say the fish will only need a 50 gallon and one will say teh fish needs a 75. i can just add a lot of smaller fish instead would a dwarf sea bass do good in my tank. i kind of like them. i think i might pick up the encyclopedia for reef fish the next time i go to Skipton's. ya and i know what u mean by getting attached Ive had my clown fish for less than 2 weeks and im already starting to get attached. do u recommend anney other books.

ill have to check out the barns and nobles for that book i was going to check amazon because i just bought a pleshure bllo that was worth like 10 bucks for 50 cence throught them

I agree with not doing any water changes right now, it will only prolong the cycle. Just watch ammonia then nitrite rise and then fall and then finally your nitrate will go up. When you have no more measurable ammonia or nitrite, the cycle is done and you can start thinking about water changes.

As far as the yellow tang, I don't think it is the best judgemnet to just look at how many gallons. Fish like this, I feel benifit most from the length of the tank. A 55, 75, or 120 are all 4 feet long. Although the 55 at only 12 inches wide is not ideal, I think it still gives the fish some room to swim. The other thing to keep in mind is that active big fish like tangs tend to eat a lot and contribute a lot to the bioload on the tank.

Dwarf angels in general and the flame angel you metioned can all possibly eat coral polyps. This is a risk you take putting one in the tank. Flame are one of the safer species to try.

If you want to add a royal gramma, I would add it last or close to last because the can be territorial at times as mentioned earlier.

Gobies or blennies can be added as some of the first fish.

Angels and butterflies

It would be good to stay away from Angels and butterflies until you have a lot more experience. Some nip at corals and other fish and some are not reef safe.
As a general rule, I would avoid those.
Also avoid triggers, batfish, bass, anything venomous.

what about dwarf angles like the one duds has for his pic i saw one in Skipton's and i really like it.

ya venomous i figured i would avoid teh tiger fish because Anny thing that can happen will happen idk how that goes but i would get stung just like i get burnt all teh time in shop

Back