I think I beat algae... *fingers crossed*

Coalminer

Non-member
So my wife and I were out of town for about 3 weeks unexpectedly back in March. I got someone to take care of my tank, but wasn't sure how it would go. Fortunately, when I got back, nothing was dead, just out of control GHA. It was sort of a set back since I had been fighting it for a while. I began tackling it pretty hard to try to get rid of the algae.

The first photo is the "before" and was actually taken after doing a lot of manual removal. I added 6-7 new Cerith snails, began doing weekly water changes of about 20% (5 gallons out of 25 or so), shortened my light cycle, kept running the skimmer, and finally, added Phosphate RX to remove phosphates. The Phosphate RX seemed to be the nail in the coffin. The second picture was taken yesterday. There are a few straggly clumps of GHA on the back wall, but almost 100% of the algae on the rocks and in the frags is gone.

I wish I could attribute it to one thing, but unfortunately it seems to be a combination of everything. I know that the Phosphate RX may not be the ideal solution, but it did seem to push it over the edge. I'm definitely going to be careful in feeding to make sure that phosphate doesnt go up again.

Back