ich on tang ?

djkoleohn

Non-member
today i noticed that my powder brown tang has a bunch of white dots all over his body. almost looks like his skin is peeling . i was wondering if this is ich and what can i do to heal him. i dont have any other tank i can use as a quarentine and am worried that the rest of my fish will fall victim....any help would be appreciated .....thanks

Attachments

• new_DSC00470.jpg
    new_DSC00470.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 175
I agree.
Your actually going to want to QT all fish and treat with hypo. Leave the DT fishless for 6-8 weeks.

You could use a large rubbermaid container as a QT tank. Pretty cheap and you can always use it for RODI storage or something afterwards.

Last edited:
What size tank do you have? You could make a up some water for a large water change and use the water comming out of the DT for the Qt and then replenish with new SW. Get a small HOB filter, heater, PH and some PVC and you will be good to go.

its a 72 bow , im purchasing a 20 gal today to do that ....do i need any live sand or anything or will it be ok w/o ...also is there any way to treat it in my dt ? just started adding corals and i have a cleaning crew in there

Why do people keep treating one fish with ich by QT?

If you QT it, and put it back into the tank (assuming there are other fish in there) its going to get it again...

Either remove all fish from the tank and QT them all for a month, or just beef the fish up with tons of nutrition... Ich or not, a healthy fish will beat it!

Don't bother with kick ich I tried and I just lost a pbt I tried kick ich for a week and his skin starting peeling but was very advanced peeling. If I had qt'd him sooner he probably would have made it. Someone told me the peeling could be it losing its slime coat.

its a 72 bow , im purchasing a 20 gal today to do that ....do i need any live sand or anything or will it be ok w/o ...also is there any way to treat it in my dt ? just started adding corals and i have a cleaning crew in there

For a QT tank, I personally would not add sand or LR as this will only serve as possible "hosts" for parasites to live in while the tank is not in use. As Kraze mentioned above, just water, filtration, heater and a few pieces of PVC for the fish to hide in(security) is all I will put in a QT tank.

On a side note, I think it would be quite stressful for a tang of that size to be in a 20G alone, not too mentioned adding upon the rest of the fish. Brad is correct that QT'ing only the noticeably affected fish you are still going to continue to have the ich parasite in your system since the other fish are all "hosts" for ich. Unless the DT is fishless long enough for the parasite to die off with no food source, QT'ing only the tang is a bit useless IMO-not too mention what I said above about the tank size and your bio-load(fish population).:)

I agree it is kind of small for that many fish. I say either grab a rubbermaid or try to get a bigger tank.

Back