Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
I have a couple of these gowing on my LR
Kinda blurry but this is the best shot I could get
id.jpg

Heres a better shot
id2.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a zoathind to me. Or a small palythoa. I think palythoas have alternating tips on them (up, down) Is that right?

The one on the left in the second pic definitely looks like a palythoa (at least the ones I have)

Hmm those bubble tips are different.
Could be majano anemone or a tulip anemone.
Try a search on those and see if they match your pics.

Anyone confirm or contest? Maybe it's just a zoanthid?

It's mojano. Get rid of it. We thought they looked nice and left them alone. We now have hundreds of them. They have a very powerful sting and will kill any coral it comes in contact with. Racoon butterflyfish will eat them, but they may also pick on feather duster's, other anenomes like BTA's, and zooanthids.

Moe_K said:
Looks like a zoanthid on the left to me. Not sure if it's palythoa or not.

It is a zoa on the left you are seeing part of a colony to the left, consider the mojano and aptasia history :)

Can I remove the aptasia nd mojano with my bare hands??

I must respectivly disagree,
that in no way looks lile Palythoa. Paylotha grows in mats, that appears to be an independent polyp.

That is similar to a Manjo but a bit different. I've seen them in my tanks, Kill it!!!! make strong kalk paste and inject it with a saringe (1-5ml). When it loooks stressed peel it off the rock carefully with tweezers or heomstats.

DO NOT. I REPEAT, ==DO NOT== pull them off the rocks with your fingers!!!!!!

No harm will be done to your person, but the little pieces of these buggers reproduce, and the more you pull, the more you will get!

Back