Impressive durability

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
At the meeting today, Greg Hiller gave me a combo frag of Solomon Island toadstool and orangish zoanthids. These are the first donations to the future "Welcome to the BRS: Free Newbie Frag."

I didn't have a cooler or any kind of insulation. I just put the bagged frag in my pack and headed home.

Well, somplace between Wakefield and Hudson the bag popped and drained. The car was at 68 degrees.
When I got home and discovered the issue, I just slammed the frag into the 20gal tank without any acclimation.

3 hours later, the frag is looking good. THe zoos are open, and the polyps on the toadstool are out. It looks nice.

It's just amazing to me that back in the early 90's when I started in this hobby, we'd think this coral would be impossible to keep. Granted, these things deal with exposure at low tide, so they have to be able to be out of water for a few hours. Still, it's amazing to me that some coral aren't as fragile as thought way back when - and some coral are downright hardy.

Sounds like good corals for new members. Maybe all corals in this newbie frag tank should have to pass the same "Low Tide in Moe's Bag" test. :)

yeap Moe, these things get exposed to the harsh Sun during low tide and would survive and reproduce................

68 degree with no water is considered as a cloudy day during low tide :)

i fragged a piece of monti, and it sat out of water for 7 hrs while the halides were off. No noticeable damage!

Moe I don?t think it was the corals that we tried to keep back then as much as it was the tank conditions. I think the tank environment has improved tremendously over this time frame with the live rock, water purity, parameters, stability etc. etc. that you see in tanks today.

Moe, I got a frag of that Solomon Island Toadstool from Greg about a year ago mounted on a toothpick, it's about 7 or 8 inches across now with beautiful long polyps. I think its going to get huge, I'll post a picture of it when I get home later if your interested. I notice that it has a tiny new offspring just starting to grow out from the base.

Jim

Last edited:
Back