Info you wish you had when you started...

dhellin

Non-member
I don't know about the rest of you, but I did a lot of research on keeping a saltwater tank before I began this hobby. It's almost been a year now and I've come to realize research is no substitute for experience. So I'd like to start a thread dedicated to all those tidbits of info you've gleaned that were NOT included in the beginner books that you've had to learn the hard way. I'd love to hear from those experts who have been doing this a lot longer than I have been so that maybe next year will go smoother. And I'm not talking costs, although that was also a tough lesson. In my humble experience to date, I wish I know about the following before I started:

1) There is more than just the nitrogen cycle to worry about. To keep corals, you need to know about calcium, alkalinity, pH and magnesium.

2) Bulk reef supply is a godsend.

3) Salt differs by brand so they are not necessarily exchangeable and do a lot more than just provide a source of salinity.

4) Microfilter socks on the inflow into the aquarium are extremely effective filtration devices at very low cost... just be sure to change them every few days.

5) Buy a good RO unit with a high flow rate- when you need to do a water change, you NEED to do a water change.

6) Corals seem to prefer more frequent small water changes than less frequent larger water changes.

7) Always quarantine. OK, this one was in the book but I didn't really believe it until I had my very own ick outbreak.

8) Test the water parameters of newly made saltwater BEFORE adding it to your tank.

9) Don't always believe what you hear in the LFS and don't impulse buy at the LFS. Research it first as best as you can.

10) Patience truly is a virtue.

So what advice do you want to pass to newbies who dream of tropical reefs in their living rooms?

don't be cheap... that's my number 1 piece of advice. If something costs more there's a reason for it...

Protein skimmers are a must have. (obviously some will argue that, but we're not talking the 5%)

Stop putting your hands in the tank water. (this hinders the skimming process. So when your upset because your skimmers not working... well DUHHHHhh... the reason for this is that the oils from your body parts cause the skimmer to lose its mojo for lack of better word. It eventually recovers, but if your one of those people that sticks their hands in a tank multiple times a day, you may want to reconsider.

Protein skimmers don't *NEED* to be ran 24 hours a day. I have an external, I take it apart and store it when i know company will be coming. Quick ball valve at the joint and wham its mobile.

when people say let your tank cycle for 30 days... they really mean 30 days minimum EMPTY! (yes empty, not even a snail) And don't sacrafice Fish!

Cycling should never be considered to be a barrel, with some heat and water flow. you will need something to remove the organic matter (ie... protein skimmer or filter)
(I made this mistake)

Here's a good one.
Lack in alkalinity can cause magnesium depletion.
Lack in magnesium can cause calcium depletion
Lack in calcium can cause trace element depletion.
Softies and sps/lps really love iodine and strontium.

Dip your coral. especially if your picking about hitch hikers.

Sometimes you dont know how much you do until you write it all down. jeez!

Last edited:
An awful lot of the books about keeping saltwater, especially the ones that are aimed at initial set up and new hobbiests, are outdated and full of misinformation.

Check the publishing date, and take all advice with a grain of salt. Don't blindly listen to any one book or other source of info.

When in doubt, start a thread here and ask :)

don't be cheap... that's my number 1 piece of advice. If something costs more there's a reason for it...

Def a great piece of advice... Especially when it comes to a skimmer and lights... I bought "cheap" lights and skimmer and have replaced them in the last 6 months and it's a HUGE difference!!!

The other thing I would say is oversize when you can afford it. As my system has expanded, so has my gear...I'm on my 4th skimmer (but this one IS the last one :eek: ), and 3rd light set on one tank, and assembling the third light set on the other.....3rd return pump too.....

save up and buy it right the first time....you will save hundreds, if not thousands, of $.

+++1 Buying cheap stuff is just throwing good money at bad and you'll end up wanting the right equipment anyway.

My tank never took off until I started buying high end gear.

And ... skimming, skimming, and more skimming.

Oh I have another one ...

What works awesome for one tank doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you.

Oh and ... do NOT over react to a situation. Make changes slow and steady.

Now if I could only follow my own advice . :rolleyes:

Def a great piece of advice... Especially when it comes to a skimmer and lights... I bought "cheap" lights and skimmer and have replaced them in the last 6 months and it's a HUGE difference!!!

The other thing I would say is oversize when you can afford it. As my system has expanded, so has my gear...I'm on my 4th skimmer (but this one IS the last one :eek: ), and 3rd light set on one tank, and assembling the third light set on the other.....3rd return pump too.....

save up and buy it right the first time....you will save hundreds, if not thousands, of $.

+++1 Buying cheap stuff is just throwing good money at bad and you'll end up wanting the right equipment anyway.

My tank never took off until I started buying high end gear.

And ... skimming, skimming, and more skimming.

Here's 4 people all saying the same thing a different way. :D

looks like a trend ;)

I wish I had known about this web site before I started. :.

+1 on this... I did tons of research but this site is much better... Wish I had it at the start...

Newbies chase PH too much and end up spiking their alk.:rolleyes:

As long as the pH is steady it doesn't matter... It's better to get everything constant before you start messing with pH too much... I say it again and again I'd rather have a constant 7.8 pH than a fluctuating 8.2-8.4 daily swing...

The more Water volume=++++:D

Makes it much easier to keep things steady... Who say's size doesn't matter? :p

The other thing I would say is oversize when you can afford it. As my system has expanded, so has my gear...I'm on my 4th skimmer (but this one IS the last one :eek: ), and 3rd light set on one tank

That of course will only last until you get a bigger tank!!!!:rolleyes::D

More water is better but starting with a 65g made me do a better job on the 300g system. I tried to do it inexpensively buying used tanks -- never again -- 2 out of the four have failed. Also, just bought another protein skimmer as the cheap one is making me insane.

If someone says a coral is a weed -- believe them. Pulsing xenia took over my 65g.

If something is wrong, and the test kits all read fine, get a different set of test kits just to double check.

Don't buy a fish or a coral because you like it, buy it because you researched its needs and can properly care for it.

Pay attention -- check everything every day -- connections, skimmers, fishies, corals, etc.

Sit and watch the tank every day. (-;

My advice

• Start off slow and make changes slowly. How would you feel going from a 95° parking lot to a 68° store over and over and over again during the day. You'd start to feel weak and tired as your body's internal thermostat went nuts. This is the same for our aquatic life not only with temperture but also water parameters.
  • Do not think you're going to do SPS right away. Get used to doing water tests, water changes and caring for softies and beginner fish for a bit.
  • Look for someone to mentor you, that's what the club is for, become a member, it's only $20.
  • You don't need to pour all kinds of chemicals into your tank. Cal, Alk, Mag and a good trace element like SeaChem Reef Plus will do. That's what I do.
  • Don't be discourage by set backs. None of us know everything or can mimic the ocean perfectly in our livingrooms. S**t happens.

Last edited:
Great list!

I'd say to have a long-term plan on what type of fish and corals to have down the road. Will they go well together (too aggressive or not?). So with this goes research your stuff.

I bought more out of impulse at first.

I'm going to go against the above posts by saying "be cheap". Buy used equipment, it will save you a ton of dough. There are always people breaking down (esp in this economy) and high end equipment can be purchased for pennies on the dollar.

Used equipment holds its value, new equipment does not.

I wish I new people in the hobby before I started. I also wish I saw peoples individual setups(they all seem unique) and how they operate and stock. My reef keeping has improved a ton since discovering this forum and talking with people.
Thanks

Back