Infrared thermometer

Chris L

Nano reefing
BRS Member
Does anyone use an infrared thermometer on their tanks? How accurate do you find the readings?

I tried one for fun and found it to be fairly accurate. At least, it matched what the thermostat on my heater said.

FYI, some fish will chase the laser light - It's pretty fun. Found clowns & especially the royal gramma to get involved.

It can depend on what its reflecting back off of.

And now I'm going to get it out and start playing fetch with my fish...

I use one for my tanks. I always go through the front of the tank and point at a rock. Seems pretty accurate to me.

I currently use three different brands at work.they range from very inexpensive to $70 None of them agree. The most expensive is out by at best 3 degrees F.

Occo baby digital thermometer works perfectly. Instead of only working on my babies forehead it has a household temp mode that I have found is very accurate when gauged against my tank controller. I use it to double check tank temp, temp match water changes.
OCCObaby Clinical Forehead Baby Thermometer - Limited Edition with Flexible Tip Waterproof Digital Thermometer for Infants & Toddlers | Instant Read Non-Contact Infrared Scanner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FQ47DP4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B2jIDbKVC5T0A

Are you reading the glass temperature or something else in the tank? It says upto 2” away.

Not sure what it’s actually measuring (glass, water, submerged object) but it’s always been consistent with the actual tank equipment readings so I never bothered to investigate. I got the idea to use it when I was checking the temperature of my babies bath water with it nightly, in this use I pointed it into the tub full of water. I guess now I tend to point it into the water through the glass, so I think it is accurate both ways, I also point it down into my 5g bucket to check WC temp. I would say it’s the most valuable piece of non reef equipment I use on my reef regularly

Awesome, I have a similar one that I got for my daughter and I’ll give it a whirl later on

Back