Installing 120 gallon do I need to reinforce floor

gene22

BRS Member
Installing a 120 gallon in the first floor if a condo. There is no basement but there is a crawlspace. Do I need to reinforce the floor for this size tank? Thanks

120 gal is approximately 1000lbs or 5 large people. Add another 500lbs for rock, glass, sump, etc. Get some pizza and invite the appropriate number of friends over and test :)

Next part is key: you need to all jump up/down at the same time in the spot you want the tank to be. If you fall through the floor or the building collapses, then you should not put the tank there!

Seriously, if you place the tank against a load bearing or external wall, and the length of the tank is cross-wise to the joists under it (in other words, you span 4+ joists, instead of 2)... then you should be fine. As always, IANASE (I am not a structural engineer), so get a professional to check it out.

120 gal is approximately 1000lbs or 5 large people. Add another 500lbs for rock, glass, sump, etc. Get some pizza and invite the appropriate number of friends over and test :)

Next part is key: you need to all jump up/down at the same time in the spot you want the tank to be. If you fall through the floor or the building collapses, then you should not put the tank there!

Seriously, if you place the tank against a load bearing or external wall, and the length of the tank is cross-wise to the joists under it (in other words, you span 4+ joists, instead of 2)... then you should be fine. As always, IANASE (I am not a structural engineer), so get a professional to check it out.

Took the words out of my mouth

The tank will span 3 2x8 joist more then save for a 120. The stand your 120 is made out of is best case 2x4 and you trust it right? Most stands are made of slate boards and we trust them so your 3 2x8 joist are more then fine

Last edited:
Back