Installing an ATO system

LunaReef

Non-member
Hi,

I need to install an auto top-off system for our tank. It will be gravity fed. I was planning on picking up this Eshopp's kit http://www.marinedepot.com/Eshopps_..._Pumps_Top_Off-Eshopps-QH03531-FIDPGT-vi.html. The reservoir will be above the sump to the left side of the tank in a corner. the distance between the reservoir and the sump is only about 3 feet.

Is anyone using a gravity-fed system? If so, what container are you using for the reservoir? I know I can use something as simple as a Rubbermaid container but I'd rather pay a bit more if there is something out there with the bulkhead already on it. If not, what size bulkhead should I use? Do I use regular airline tubing or something else? I want to add an inline shut-off valve in the tubing. Is a 5g sized container OK? I'm estimating that would last the tank a week, maybe more. Do I need to provide circulation in the reservoir? It doesn't seem like I'd need heating because such a small amount would drip in daily...is that right?

Thanks for any help.

Judy

I cant say much to gravity feed or what you use as a reservoir. I use an aqualifter pump and a 5 gallon homer bucket. I do not heat my ATO reservoir. Also, not sure for you, but i fill my 5 gallon bucket every 2 days. when i fill it, its usually about one top off away from gurgling. i keep 5 gallons on standby. when my reservoir empties, i use my standby and then fill it with new RODI.

it's harder to put a bulkhead on a curved surface. For those, I think you'll have to use a uniseal of some sort.
If you're using a gravity fed system to that eshopps valve, the eshopps valve uses a john guest fitting which requires 1/4" polyeth tubing, the same tubing for an icemaker. You can find the tubing at lowes/home depot in the plumbing section
You don't want an ATO reservoir to be an eyesore, so i'd just use whatever is easiest to put a JG bulkhead on which means something with a flat side, and discreet.

Great info, thanks everyone. That's good that I can get the tubing at Lowe's or HD and that fitting looks perfect for the job. Yes, I definitely want something with a flat side for the reservoir. Probably black since the stand is black. That way it won't be as noticeable. Maybe in the 8-10g range.

Use a 10g tank. You can use syphon to get it going, and adjust how far into reserve you want line to go down. an airstone will hold it down to the bottom.

usplastics.com has a wide array of jugs/containers that can be fitted with a john quest push fitting. they sell them on their site the best price around. I put a valve on the line to be able to take out the jug with water in it. I think shipped for a 2.5g contain and a couple fittings it was 17$. if you go to Lowes youll be looking for ever and it will almost cost that in just fittings. the jugs on that website are water potable and good quality...shipped right to your door.

ps- If you have the room, you can always get a used poland spring 5g jug and use alittle silicone around the fitting to seal it to the jug. Its cheaper (free usually) but not as space efficient.

Thanks Ray, that's a good idea though I was thinking something with a handle might be easier to work with since I'll need to take it away from the tank area to fill it.

Steve - I will definitely check out usplastics, thanks for the tip! I was also thinking of putting on an in-line shut-off valve.

Back