internal or external return pump?

JimmyC

Non-member
Ok now that I will be running flex hoses down to the basement I need to decide on the return pump. I would like to use a pump which is the most efficient. I have two 55 gallon tanks back to back the feed is going into one side of one 55 that is going to be all macro algea , then that spills into the next 55 which has the three chambers (including protein skimmer , heaters, refuge, ect). I have room for either pump. any suggestions.

Last edited:
I would run an external like a Mak4 to deal with the head pressure of a basement sump. I use a Little Giant 4MDQX-SC for my asement sump.

I would run an external like a Mak4 to deal with the head pressure of a basement sump. I use a Little Giant 4MDQX-SC for my asement sump.

Thank You
Now lets look to see if anyone is selling a Mak4 or bigger.

The Mak4 which is now the Gen-x pcx40 is probably the most effecient external pump for a basement sump setup like yours. I believe it only uses about 130 watts which is sweet compared to some externals that use double that. I run one on my 125 from a basement sump and can only say good things about it.

Back