Internal vs. External Pump

Andy O

Non-member
What are the advantages/disadvantages of using an internal in sump vs. external return pump?

I think it comes down to the quality of the pumps currently available on the market. The only good, reliable internal pumps are the Eheim, and they don't move a lot of water. If need less than 1,000GPH an internal pump can be an alternative. More than that you are limited to Mag12s Mag24s etc. And Mag pumps are pretty much junk. Most of them don't last more than a year. Most times you can repair them but it's a real pain.

I agree with what Armando stated, heat is also a big issue with a couple of internal pumps and some power heads you put a lot of extra heat into your system. My tank runs at about 86 degrees in the heat of the summer, I am in the process of replumbing it without any internal pumps. I have been using Mag pumps for both recirculation and skimmer I have a spare of both that I keep cleaned and rebuilt and swap them out every six months or so.

Jim

Jim, I've also heard that some of the external pumps (little giants) if I remember correctly, can add a ton of heat to tanks.

I have 2 Little Giants running. They actually add less heat than any submersible pump I've used. The motor housing gets a bit hot, but the water doesn't pass through there. I have yet to find a single Ca deposit when cleaning them. I think the durability of an external pump far out weigh any negatives they might have......

Back