Is priming a Canopy a must?

skatezen

If you pick it, Flick it!
I just built my canopy for my 75. It came out great. In all my excitement I mounted all my reflectors and everything. I'm the past I always primed the inside of the canopy. Is it a must do thing to prevent the wood from getting wet and salty? I really don't want to take everything out, but I will if i have to. Will I regret not priming it?

I don't think it'll matter to much. The wood will probably get a little salty, but that's not a big deal IMO, it just won't look quite as pristine inside after a year of use.

Can you seal the bottom couple inches, closest to the tank, without removing equipment?

Yeah, I could probably do just the bottom part., but I'm a perfectionist. I'll probably end up ripping out the hardware anyways.

Depending on the quality of the wood,if not primed(sealed)it might start to bukkle with high humidity and heat.Just my .02

FWIW, there's virtually no way to completely "seal" a piece of wood (short of coating it with epoxy perhaps). Even finished wood will still expand and contract slowly with changes in moisture content. Finish slows those changes down a little, but doesn't eliminate them. It's not really a problem though, unless you didn't account for about 2% expansion/contraction across the width of solid wood boards, or if you attached wide solid wood boards or panels (more than 12" wide) to plywood or to a board with the grain running perpendicularly (because the wide board will expand/contract while the plywood or perpendicular board doesn't really move much). Buckling should only be a problem in those instances, and only with solid wood, not plywood, which is what I imagine most folks are using. Plywood is made of laminates with alternating grain direction, so it doesn't change dimension significantly in any direction.

In short, I don't think finishing makes a big difference as far as integrity, but it will keep the canopy much cleaner inside, and the canopy will likely look much newer inside when you sell it.

Do you mean you lay a course of fiberglass and resin over your wood canopy? Or you made a canopy entirely out of fiberglass?

I know that painting the inside of the canopy with white paint will reflect light back into the tank better...at least from all the threads that have been written about canopies.

Back