Is Refugium Placement Important???

Just to address all above items. First, the return and skimmer are actually lined up side by side long ways, it was just difficult to draw them that way. Its a EuroReef skimmer, so the output acutally dumps the water next to the return which actuall keeps a good water circulation in the sump. Also, the output of the skimmer has a good size sponge that wraps the output tube which really cuts back on the micro bubbles.

The idea about getting rid of the second valve going into the sump, the reason I am actually putting it in there is for water changes. I didn't hard pipe the hose into the refugium. That way, I can remove the hose and do a water change fairly easily just by closing the valve to the sump and draining through the hose going to the refugium. That will also allow me to do a more simultaneous water change, I can drain down the water from the overflow and then just return it using the sump.

I'm completely impressed that nobody has cried "the pods will get killed by the return pump". My system is set up similar and my display is now healthy (whereas I had NO visible pods) even though the return (mag7) feeds from the sump-fugium to the display. Obviously, any "sheer" of organisms is minimal. Other "less educated" forums bashed me saying that NOTHING will live through the mag7. Sure...tests kinda show this..but they were done with adult brine and not young pods. THey seem to take the "ride" well.

Good luck

Dave

JustDavidP said:
I'm completely impressed that nobody has cried "the pods will get killed by the return pump". My system is set up similar and my display is now healthy (whereas I had NO visible pods) even though the return (mag7) feeds from the sump-fugium to the display. Obviously, any "sheer" of organisms is minimal. Other "less educated" forums bashed me saying that NOTHING will live through the mag7. Sure...tests kinda show this..but they were done with adult brine and not young pods. THey seem to take the "ride" well.

Good luck

Dave

emphasis on your statement "minimal",minimal becomes zero with an above tank fuge :D
Sorry Dave had to get a comment in and un impress you,LOL

Back