Is teflon paste (pipe dope) safe?

BigDora

Non-member
My husband is putting together the plumbing for my tank and wants to use pipe dope on the threads. Is it safe to use? It technically won't be in direct contact with the water. If not, what can be used?

My husband is putting together the plumbing for my tank and wants to use pipe dope on the threads. Is it safe to use? It technically won't be in direct contact with the water. If not, what can be used?

Aquarium silicone works great.

Have him get some tape,Dora.
The darn teflon paste makes a mess and doesn't work as well.......JME.

It's safe enough for humans to drink, right? And I've used it on my tanks with no noticeable effects. I think it's nothing to worry about.

Aquarium silicone works great.
What I don't like about using silicone on threads is that the parts can be very difficult to get apart later, because it's an adhesive. Also (and more importantly, IMO) if the fitting is moved at all or tightened after the silicone has cured, it will break the seal and you could have a leak.

Have him get some tape,Dora.
The darn teflon paste makes a mess and doesn't work as well.......JME.
I've always heard from plumbers (and since confirmed it with my own experience) that the teflon pipe dope is superior to tape. Yes, it's a bit messier to work with, but it works the first time.

"I've always heard from plumbers (and since confirmed it with my own experience) that the teflon pipe dope is superior to tape. Yes, it's a bit messier to work with, but it works the first time"

Well they must have been new and inexperienced.:rolleyes:
Pipe dope sucks!

they both work great, just read what you are using, stay away from anything with a oil base like gasola.

Nate I agree on the pipe dope. I used silicone grease on some fittings along with tape, I know it sounds strange but someone said try it, so I did and the fittings wont come apart after a bit! I'll be sticking with the pipe dope :)

Back