The correct way to use teflon tape?

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
this is so basic but I find myself wondering what is the right way, I've been playing around with pump plumbing and have had to re tape a couple of joints due to fine air leaks leading me to question if I did it right in the first place.

I know it should be wrapped clockwise, but how many times around? Should the joint be lightly tightened or as tight as possible? What's the difference between the blue and red types?

thanks
jk

You're wrapping clockwise when facing the open end of the male fitting, right?

Make them as tight as possible by hand, then use wrenches to give it another 1/2 or 1 turn.

I usually do about 2-3 times around. I'm not sure there's a difference between blue cans and red cans. The yellow cans (if I recall correctly) are safe for use on gas lines. Maybe a real plumber can correct me.

Nate

Thanks Nate

That's about how I've been doing it but I wasn't sure about how tight to go. I was afraid if I went too tight it would bunch up or something.

thanks

JK

I have heard blue is for use with water... and red im not sure...given the color i wonder if its hot and cold water fittings. humm...

Don't be afraid to put the wrench to it if you're having problems sealing the joint. All I would be concerned about is breaking the fitting. Pipe Dope works well too but I'm not sure it it's reef safe.

Steve

Back