Is this something to worry about?

absolutecarrot

Non-member
I just fed my clownfish and it ate a big chunk of food and then was trying to eat more but couldn’t swallow. The clownfish is also opening and closing its mouth rapidly, could this mean it is having a hard time breathing. Is this bad or just something normal, what should I do?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Worst case you could try and catch it, see if there's something lodged in it's mouth, and use tweezers maybe. (As a last resort of course.)

Obviously use your own judgement, but for what it's worth my 12 year old clown fish has done this countless times, and always worked through it. Once I tried the catch and tweezers approach, but at the end of the day you run the risk of doing more harm than good. Good luck!

Obviously use your own judgement, but for what it's worth my 12 year old clown fish has done this countless times, and always worked through it. Once I tried the catch and tweezers approach, but at the end of the day you run the risk of doing more harm than good. Good luck!
How long does your clownfish do this for. Thanks

That stinks! I have not experienced this type of choking loss in 30 plus years of fishkeeping, but many other types. Sorry for the loss. I hate losing livestock, of any kind, before it should be expected. I have had fish overeat and die though.

That stinks! I have not experienced this type of choking loss in 30 plus years of fishkeeping, but many other types. Sorry for the loss. I hate losing livestock, of any kind, before it should be expected. I have had fish overeat and die though.
Thank you It definitely stinks to lose a fish.

Back