Isolated 1g Refugium/Pod cultivation setup?

Howdy All,

I'd love input on a small setup I'm contemplating trying. Due to my landlord seriously inhibiting the my tank volumes per our housing contract, I cannot setup a refugium with my DT. I will eventually toy with a HoB-refugium setup but in the interim I am thinking of setting up a small independent refugium.

This would be a separate setup to culture pods to routinely introduce into my tanks for our wrasses and mandarin. They've been eating frozen just fine for years but I am interested in providing additional food, etc.

Planned setup is as follows with spare parts from some small setups I took down:

1g Marina Glass Tank
Deep Blue Pre-programmed heater (always maintained 78-deg temp with my Betta)
Koralia 240 gph powerhead
Red Sea HoB filter with filter, carbon, & biological media filtering - set to lowest flow setting)
Coralife 12w Refugium Light 2x 6w T5s
Small, porous LR
Chaeto and pods

The only immediate concern I have is wondering if the ammonia levels, etc, may be a risk in such a small system. I figure between the bacteria and Purigen bio filter I plan to use should keep should be fairly clean and stable, with 2 small WCs per week.

All thoughts appreciated, thanks! :D

get a 10 gallon soooo much easier and once you get starter pods in it just over feed like crazy make the water, rocks, and glass green. the nastier the better, thats the best was to do it

and get a cheap $11.99 HOB filter meant for tiny tanks cause you dont need much filtration and minimal water flow... they will breed like crazy

Back