It was at this moment he knew he messed up….

Pjy95

BRS Member
Well as anything in life we learn from mistakes but it always sucks when they’re expensive mistakes , as I’ve been battling Dino’s I’m not sure what went wrong exactly but I’ve just about lost all my fish , I’m waiting on all the hanna digital checkers to come in this weekend so I can get more accurate results but using the api test all the paramenters looked decent , I’m down to 2 clown fish which I’m about to throw in a quarantine tank as I believe they may have got ick cause of the white spots on one of them and try to medicate them , the corals don’t seem to be doing bad and neither do the snails. I’m wondering if at this point if something happens with the clowns if I’m better off just setting the corals in a separate tank and restarting my tank from scratch as I still have brand new bags of live sand

Need more background info on the tank. Size, how many fish and types, wave makers , return pump, skimmer etc

Waterbox 65.4 , 20 gallon sump , syncra 3.0 pump , mp10, coralbox skimmer , 4 clowns , blue hippo tang , flame Angel and then the one that’s in my profile pic not sure what he was to be honest. I had a coral beauty as well but he jumped out of tank. Pair of Hydra 32s

There’s a few things that “could’ve” caused the deaths in the tank. First one is lack of gas transfer in the water. 1 mp10 isn’t really going to cut it in a 4 foot tank. The Dino’s combined with lack of air exchange could have killed your fish.
The other thing is compatibility. You had 2 tangs ( trust me I’m far from the tang police lol) and 4 clowns. The clowns depending on size could kill eachother and the tangs are usually bullies. Tangs are a very active fish and need plenty of oxygen in the water. I’d almost bet between the Dino’s and lack of oxygenation are the causes of the fish losses.

There’s a few things that “could’ve” caused the deaths in the tank. First one is lack of gas transfer in the water. 1 mp10 isn’t really going to cut it in a 4 foot tank. The Dino’s combined with lack of air exchange could have killed your fish.
The other thing is compatibility. You had 2 tangs ( trust me I’m far from the tang police lol) and 4 clowns. The clowns depending on size could kill eachother and the tangs are usually bullies. Tangs are a very active fish and need plenty of oxygen in the water. I’d almost bet between the Dino’s and lack of oxygenation are the causes of the fish losses.
All good info to take into consideration thank you ! Still learning all this and no matter how much research it’s never enough . I guess easy enough to adjust oxygen in tank I plan on mp40 anyway the mp10 was something I just happened to find on Sale for cheap and said why not. And prob not buying any fish anytime soon until I get everything straightened out anyway so hopefully these clowns will survive. The Dino battle is getting better each day so hopefully I’m rid of that soon

+1 on Chris's comments. You mentioned white spots and Ick. Ick will die without hosts in the tank so if you can quarantine the clowns and have no fish in the tank do it. I forget the accepted time period for the tank being "Faloe"?....but I'm sure someone will chime in on it. I lost half my fish as a newbie until I spent the money on a real UV sterilizer. Green killing machines are crap for reef tanks and I learned that one the bummer way.

I've never seen white dots since......
25W Aqua UV on 100g display with a 40B sump was my first good setup and wouldn't run a tank without one.

Kinda weird your flame jumped before the clowns.....
If I ever buy another clown I'm just going to throw him on the floor and get it over with....lol

Uv sterilizer probably gonna be my next purchase at this point even tho I’m new to all this sh** I’m fully committed to having a kickass reef set up wanted to do one for so long so whatever I can do now to reach that goal faster I’m all for

Haha let me tell you that fish from the day I brought it home the second the lid came off tank he was trying to escape and I stupidly left it off one day and got side tracked and when I came back it was too late. Luckily until now my petco purchased clowns have given me no problems in the 5 months they have been in there

Did you recently add any fish?
I did , right at the start of June I got that hippo tang, itd prob be easy to point a finger and say that caused everything but I feel like throwing him in a tank with dinos and a tank that I neglected water testing didn’t help any of the situation out so I’m not gonna blame that

I did , right at the start of June I got that hippo tang, itd prob be easy to point a finger and say that caused everything but I feel like throwing him in a tank with dinos and a tank that I neglected water testing didn’t help any of the situation out so I’m not gonna blame that
Just sucks cause that was one of the main fish I wanted when I started but live and learn

Ich or velvet but if you take all the fish out and leg it go fallow for 76-80 days, it should rid the tank of disease. Just add QTd fish next time or you roll the dice again.

Ich or velvet but if you take all the fish out and leg it go fallow for 76-80 days, it should rid the tank of disease. Just add QTd fish next time or you roll the dice again.
Ok thank you , What about the snails should I take them out too or does it not affect them ?

Didn’t you just do a 3 day blackout? Did you feed the fish during this time? Not saying that 3 days without food would necessarily kill them, however if ick was present in the tank, the blackout and no food could have stressed the fish, which weakened them to the ick and they succumbed to it.

Not trying to start the quarantine debate here, however if you decide to go fallow then you would have to be extremely strict when adding ANYTHING to the tank in the future. Ick could come in from a drop of water, or from a snail shell or a million other things you add. If it is ick, you should do some proper reading and educating yourself of the entire subject.

Didn’t you just do a 3 day blackout? Did you feed the fish during this time? Not saying that 3 days without food would necessarily kill them, however if ick was present in the tank, the blackout and no food could have stressed the fish, which weakened them to the ick and they succumbed to it.

Not trying to start the quarantine debate here, however if you decide to go fallow then you would have to be extremely strict when adding ANYTHING to the tank in the future. Ick could come in from a drop of water, or from a snail shell or a million other things you add. If it is ick, you should do some proper reading and educating yourself of the entire subject
I did feed them during the blackout , I probably shouldn’t have even spoke about ick until I fully looked into other options because after watching videos of velvet the clown looked a lot more like the velvet than the ick but I’m not marine biologist so I can’t say for sure. As of now the tank is gonna be fishless for a while and just let my corals do they’re growing til I figure out my next step

Just curious where did u buy the fish
Honestly I don’t wanna be rude but for the sake of me not wanting to give anyone a bad rep I don’t wanna say, for the main fact that I wasn’t doing my part on water testing and throwing a fish in with dinos was a combination for the disaster. I was doing way too many water changes , not testing or dosing anything so I don’t wanna point a finger when I was a huge creator in this situation

Back