It's hot outside! Who's tank is in trouble?

Are you having tank heat issues

• YES! I'm having issues!

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Nope, I have a chiller doing a geat job

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Nope, my home's AC does a great job

Votes: 55 64.0%
  • Fans are keeping the temp down for now

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • I turned the lights out and am hoping like mad

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Basement sump keeps things cool.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • Mayonaise keeps my tank cool ;)

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Uh oh... Ice bottles are ready to cool

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Ice bottles were not enough!

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
i have a chiller but it's not being very efficient because it's in the same room as the tank. also the AC is not keeping up with the heat, the apartment was close to 100 degrees :(

Armando, that's not bad (for the tank) the apt. was that hot and the tank stayed at 82.6...pretty good for the tank really. Sucks for you!!

central air/ basement sump and fans keep it at 78 even today, I was surprised. i BET It WAS the MAYO i added to kill the acro flatworms I found on my zoos :) j/k

mine got up to 83.2 yesterday but the lights were on a few hours earlier then usual

Basement room temp has been creeping up since Friday. No AC in basement, and air temp is already at 74?. Evap. cooling fan kicked on yesterday and kept water temp below 80? all day. But I have a feeling that even with the fan on today, my tank temp will probably hit 81?. Without the evap fan, I'm sure my tank would be near 83-84?.

Two 15,000 btu a/c's on first floor.....tank has yet to go over 80 degrees. Plus it helps to have a 30 and a 20 gallon sump/fuge in 68 degree basement....

feel bad for those without options.

it hit 101 here in putnam ct for about an hr but tank never hit 82. i also have 2 15,000 btu ac one in the bedroom and the other in the kitchen cool 70 degree's

I hate the heat! And so does my tank.Over 87 on last heat wave(yeh!I lost a few things).this weekend, fri sat again over 87 with t'5s off.My diy chiller is doing good for today holding at about 82 w/ t5s on.A.C. is coming this week. Yeh! now were talking. Wife is not though.more $ honey please!

we have no ac in our house we have all the windows open and all the celling (sp) fans going but inside our house this weekend was 91 degrees it was awfull trying to keep the tank cool man i hate summer

If I didn't have AC, both my tank and me would be fried! The only thing I worry about is a power outage and my electric bill, in that order......I was thinking of turning off one of the power heads to keep the heat down, but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. My tank is steady at 81.5 IF I keep the AC 24/7 during this heat wave.

No problems since the building AC unit was turned on. My bedroom does get hammered with light in the morning though, so we're having to keep the AC set at 68-70, and I have to make sure my door is open by mid morning since the flow through the registers in my room is a bit anemic. But it's very nice not to have to worry about floating ice or making kalwasser icebergs any more.

And here's the best part ... we only pay for electricity for the blowers to move the cold air around, not for the chiller that chills it. ;-)

--cn

Ive been thru summers before with my 75g so I know what to expect and have been pretty good at ~82F. Thats with a sump fan, window AC, and plenty of topoff water
smile.gif

My fairly new 45g softy tank on the other hand has been hit hard. Temps been ~87F
frown.gif
Its up in the dinning room with no AC and only had 1x 4" fan in the hood for the VHOs. I added a 6" clip-on fan to the sump on it and shut the white VHOs down leaving only the actinics running. Also I leave the hood propped open. Helped only a little bringing temps to ~84F

FYI,
mid 80's forecast for high temps inland, low 80's along coast all week. Low temps only in upper 60's. So if you are having problems now, prepare for a busy week.

Back