JBJ Nano Cube 6 gal

JeremyAN7

Non-member
Anyone had experience with the JBJ 6 gallon Nano?

Specifically, build quality, mod-ability? Would the Fission Nano protein skimmer fit in the back (in place of the sponge or the other side? Is it possible to add a second 18W PC bulb (without totally hacking the thing)

Any other feedback would be cool.

Jeremy

I don't have any experience with the 6 gallon nano, but the 12 gallon has been good for me (but have heard many horror stories about it cracking).

On the other hand, I did purchase a JBJ digi-lab "thermometer" to measure salinity and can say that it is terrible and JBJ's warranty department has been extremely rude and unhelpful.

Anyways, good luck if you decide to go forward with it.

Just out of curiousity why do you want to do the nanocube? With all the mods and upgrades you are looking for it may be easier just to start with a simple glass/acrylic tank and customize it to your liking. I have a 12 NCDX as well, but chose it basically for the fact that everything I needed came with it. Hope this doesn't come off as discouraging but just wanted to make sure you checked your other options.

To try to answer your question, I have seen many mod'ed 6 NC's so it is possible depending on your DIY skills. Try nano-reef.com or nanocustoms.com (you can buy fully mod'ed NC 6's here, in case DIY is not your thing) for some options. HTH and good luck.

I've had my nancostoms.com 3.18 NC6 up for a month now and i love it. Chamber 1 is the filter pad. chamber 2 carbon and live rock rubble. chamber 3 has the titanium heater and stock pump. 54w of PC lighting with the blue led moonlighting and 2 beefed up fans for cooling. The light maybe heat the water 1 degree and I find that others replacing the stock pump are getting hotter tanks in a 6. I am only going for LPS so the flow is plenty for that. Have in it now ricordia, echino, chalice, xenia, GSP, sponges, some LPS i cant ID but these are all frags/nano sized corals. That is the tough part. You cant go to most LFS and get the corals you need for a nano 6. gotta order on line from frag places and nano cral places. You can only fit so much in a 6It's so easy to maintain. I honestly but 5 gals of the boxed ocean water from petco and used 1 of those to fill it and keep one for weekly water changes, Just monitor the chemistry each dat for the first few weeks because it can change quickly in a 6. I dont have any fish, just a fire shrimp, hermits, snails and a porcelain crab. Oh, and a tiny pistol shrimp somewhere that may get a tiny goby partner after the summer.

P.S. I have heard of nanos cracking on the bottom glass pane so what i did was use aquarium silicone and covered the bottom with it completley. So if the gbottom glass didi ever crack the silicne would prebent any leaks.

i have jbj nano 24gallon and i love it only down fall is that you need to improve the filter system with your own materials.

Back