Jenn's 72 Bow Rebuild from Start to enjoyment (hopefully)

Jennifer

Moody and emotional slob
Well here it is, I am finally getting to rebuild what I though was a very beautiful and enjoyable Tank. It of course as most of you know, ended a bit sour. That was totally my fault, wanting the tank to look perfect for THAT photo Day.

Now things have changed, I have changed and grown and learned a lot since I first started in this Hobby. I have decided to document this build from start to finish in the hopes it may help those just starting out build their own systems.
Of course there are many ways of getting to the same end goal, I am going to at least show you mine. I hope you all will help me by pointing out any mistakes I may be making. Even though I have been planning this setup for a while I am sure I have forgotten something.

The plan is to use my 72 gallon bowfront tank and all equipment I had running before but with a lot of refinements.

Months of planning have led me to a laundry list of things to do before I can splash the tank and start the cycling process.
  • Modify and Repaint stand.
  • Drill tanks
  • Install bulkheads and strainers.
  • Cut and silicone in place Sump dividers/ bubble trap
  • Plumb pumps
  • Modify New ATO resevoir.
  • Plumb Drains with reverse durso's
  • Modify, fix, and install ATO system and brackets
  • Install probe holders and necesary brackets into sump
  • Plumb and install Kalk reactor and pump.
  • Mount refugium lighting
  • Install new wiring mains switches and GFCI's
  • Install and program Neptunesys Apex controller
  • place stand in new home level and shim.
  • add Tank to stand and finish plumbing.
  • Full water test and shut down test
  • Test quick water change sytem capacity (gallons per change)
  • Install lighting and ventilation
  • Vent to outside and skimmer Air inlet.
  • Install panels around sides and top of tank ( to encapsulate tank , will explain later.)
  • Cut epoxy and anchor live rock to wall of tank.
  • Sand - tank and refugium.
  • Salt water ( splash time woohoo )
  • powerheads and wave devices.
  • cheato for refugium.
  • Garf grunge ( I am going to give this a go ) unless I get something similar localaly
  • cycle time
  • Add clean up crew ( feeding small amounts of food if needed )
  • Move corals and fish slowly from my other system.
  • New coral and fish introduction time.
  • Deep breath and relax almost there.
  • Enjoy and routine maintenance.

I am going to try and document this as much as possible. For the benefit of others and myself.
Please feel free to help and add your input along the way, I would not have come this far with out all of your great help and advice.
It is going to be a few months before this is all done, however the work will start this weekend on the stand and drilling. I will detail each step in the process as I get to it.

Oh and I forgot to mention that the room that this tank is in is getting completely torn out, insulated, drywalled and mudded at the same time as the tank build. :eek: :)

Woo hoo....Jens back in elbow deep back in the tank(s) and some DIY stuff to boot. Your laundry list looks similar to what I just went through setting up a 120 after my tanks took somewhat of a turn for the worse too. Look forward to some of your ideas, I can appreciate a good build by you on some handiwork and creativity. Bring it on, I'll be tagging along on a subscribe to the thread and lend you some constructive ideas to run by ya and see if it's a yay or nay. Take your time and have fun.

Stand Mod (step 1)

Well I was not able to get as much done this weekend as I hoped, due to the tank drilling mishap. No worries, this is what I was able to get finished.

This stand had a 8 inch wide support right in the middle back of the stand. I had to move that to one side to gain that extra 1.5 inches so that I could squeeze the 20 high in there with 10 gallon to its side.

On this stand the top and bottom flat sections are actually 2 pieces. Normally the middle supports both halves of the top. Because of moving the middle brace I needed to make a sort of carrying beam to span the seam.
I used 3 pieces of 1x poplar ripped to 2 1/4 in height , glued and screwed together. Then the supports were added to the sides to make sure the load was transfered to the bottom.
I also needed to elevate the 10 gallon fuge so that I could gravity feed to the sump via a 1 inch bulkhead.

I was hoping to have the new supports painted. Minor delays, but that should be done this week. I hope to have the 20 fixed, drilled and in place to finalize my design on the layout.
Most of the support gear is figured out for placement and I was able to dig up a nice reflector for a low profile fuge light. It should allow me plenty of room to work in the fuge if I need to.

2009_10_02_5418.jpg

2009_10_02_5420.jpg

2009_10_02_5417.jpg

2009_10_02_5422.jpg

Overkill but at least I know it is going to last.

and the triple 1x beam all glued up.

This frame sticks by the sides by 3/4, this will allow me to attach side filler boards later.

2009_10_02_5424.jpg

Looking good can't wait to see it filled

:edit if you have an iphone with the emoji keyboard you can see the symbols that are where the "????"s are:

Last edited:
i have an idea for "splash time"... use some water from ur old system so that you dont have as big of a cycle and the transition on your inverts and fish will be easier rather than risk a cycle... idk if that was the origional plan but its just an idea

jenn your making me feel like a jack@$$... did i cause this thread to come to a screaching hault? it seems like after i post somthing convorsation stops...

jenn your making me feel like a jack@$$... did i cause this thread to come to a screaching hault? it seems like after i post somthing convorsation stops...

No NO you are not a (slang for donkey) I got delayed and havn't done much because of the problem with drilling that tank.

I think sometimes people here do not respond in order to keep a thread nice and "clean". I was going to respond to you when I had new stuff to offer.

As far as your idea about using some of the water from my older system. I like it and was considering doing just that. On the other hand I sort of feel like starting over completely from scratch.

On the build portion, I did have time to paint the boards in the stand. So now everything is a nice shade of black.

I am going to be cramming a lot of stuff into this stand. So I am making sure that I mock everything up, to make sure there will be enough space once I install that last piece of gear.

ahh okay well if you start from scrach thats cool too but your going to have to wait for the transfer of stuff i mean if you use old water your still going to get a cycle just not as severe

well i was not able to get as much done this weekend as i hoped, due to the tank drilling mishap. No worries, this is what i was able to get finished.

This stand had a 8 inch wide support right in the middle back of the stand. I had to move that to one side to gain that extra 1.5 inches so that i could squeeze the 20 high in there with 10 gallon to its side.

On this stand the top and bottom flat sections are actually 2 pieces. Normally the middle supports both halves of the top. Because of moving the middle brace i needed to make a sort of carrying beam to span the seam.
I used 3 pieces of 1x poplar ripped to 2 1/4 in height , glued and screwed together. Then the supports were added to the sides to make sure the load was transfered to the bottom.
I also needed to elevate the 10 gallon fuge so that i could gravity feed to the sump via a 1 inch bulkhead.

I was hoping to have the new supports painted. Minor delays, but that should be done this week. I hope to have the 20 fixed, drilled and in place to finalize my design on the layout.
Most of the support gear is figured out for placement and i was able to dig up a nice reflector for a low profile fuge light. It should allow me plenty of room to work in the fuge if i need to.

2009_10_02_5418.jpg

2009_10_02_5420.jpg

2009_10_02_5417.jpg

2009_10_02_5422.jpg
i better hurry and get my fish room dun because i think u are going to have water be 4 me lol good 2 see u back in and having fun good luck

i better hurry and get my fish room dun because i think u are going to have water be 4 me lol good 2 see u back in and having fun good luck

He he funny, I think you are going to win that race.
Yea glad to be back for sure. Funny I was just thinking that it's good to be throwing more money away, again.

Lots of work to be done on this tomorrow.
I should have the sump all done with new glass and bulkheads.
I will be doing all of the plumbing, with the reverse durso's.
I got a sort of cool/different idea to show you all with my drain plumbing.

I may also have time to get the fuge light in and what ever else.
I will try to get all of the pics loaded tomorrow night.

ahh okay well if you start from scrach thats cool too but your going to have to wait for the transfer of stuff i mean if you use old water your still going to get a cycle just not as severe

Right you are, I have time to consider the options though. I am still thinking just start from scratch with a sterile system. Then dose dip and treat everything that goes into the new tank.

Smart to beef-up stand. I've seen some stock stands (similar to yours) I would not even consider putting a tank on.

Smart to beef-up stand. I've seen some stock stands (similar to yours) I would not even consider putting a tank on.

Thanks I thought so, hard to believe I had a tank sitting on there for 2+ years.
Scarry really.

are you going to drill the 10gl?

Yep sure am, already done in fact.

o jennifer i dont see no pics

He he funny,

Your wish is my command...

Give me a few to get them all up here.

Sump and fuge done- no leaks

Alright here it all is.
Lots O pics, too much to describe so I notated some of the pictures.
If you have any questions please ask.
Any suggestions on something I missed, Let me know.

Tank Repair after the drilling incident.
72_Tank_build001.jpg

72_Tank_build009.jpg

72_Tank_build005.jpg

72_Tank_build006.jpg

Back