Jenn's 72 Bow Rebuild from Start to enjoyment (hopefully)

Awesome.. this is what planning does for your

Please go into depth about that Kalk Stirrer. Looks very intriguing.

Nice work Jenn!Love the red nice touch.
I too did test runs to fiqure things out and it wasn't until I went to clean the whole setup with vinegar water b4 using that I got an idea of how things were going to behave in saltwater and it showed me I needed to change some things.

Sorry for the delay in updates

Wow have I been busy lately trying to keep my bills paid and get this tank upgrade payed for.

Awesome.. this is what planning does for your

Please go into depth about that Kalk Stirrer. Looks very intriguing.

Yep I am very glad I am taking my time in building this setup and not rushing into it like I normally would.

I will see about getting some detailed pics on the Kalk stirrer up tonight.

Nice work Jenn!Love the red nice touch.
I too did test runs to fiqure things out and it wasn't until I went to clean the whole setup with vinegar water b4 using that I got an idea of how things were going to behave in saltwater and it showed me I needed to change some things.

Thanks,
Smart people we are to do weird stuff like mock "drills" and water changes.;) :D

Just notice your thread and Love the red drains you have one up on me. check this out and finish the rest in red ;) http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82193

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Ronnie, not sure I have one up on you. Your tanks are beautiful and you obviously take good care of your stuff.
That sump looks great and sooo very clean.

I think you talked me into doing more red. I guess I will have to order some red hoses for the reactors and such.
I am also thinking of doing the air lines in blue, what ya all think?

looks good just looked at ronnies thread i think you are going to give him a run for his money....

I dont know.... I have my work cut out for me, thats for sure.

Last edited:
I'm jealous set up is beautiful.......It will be along time before I get to that point. Still running the old fashion wet/dry with FOWLR tank for now.
Still learning all this high end stuff and trying to convince the wife is still a no go.
I think the only way to get things my way is to take her on a vacation to a remote Island and pamper her to death,or have Johnny Depp wear the pirate costume and take control of her while I do this..LOL

Hey Jen. What tubing did you use,how's it connected to the tee and how did you get your valve and tee to look so flush. I assume the tee to the valve is a small measured piece of pvc?

2009_10_02_5422.jpg

I'm jealous set up is beautiful.......It will be along time before I get to that point. Still running the old fashion wet/dry with FOWLR tank for now.
Still learning all this high end stuff and trying to convince the wife is still a no go.
I think the only way to get things my way is to take her on a vacation to a remote Island and pamper her to death,or have Johnny Depp wear the pirate costume and take control of her while I do this..LOL

I think the Johnny Depp thing sounds pretty good to me, or maybe Orlando Bloom :D

You will get there it just takes time. I started my first reef in june of 2006.

The setup looks great Jennifer, nice work. :)

Thanks Gina !

Hey Jen. What tubing did you use,how's it connected to the tee and how did you get your valve and tee to look so flush. I assume the tee to the valve is a small measured piece of pvc?

Anthony that is just the standard 1" spa flex from lowes. Yup there is just a short piece of hose between the t and the valve.

Jen did you ever post on the Kalk stirrer? Interested in seeing something on it.

I didn't but I do plan to. I have a few mods I want to do to it, so I will have to wait a bit to finish those. I will take a bunch of pics and go into full detail then, sorry to keep yall waiting on that.

i think that tank on the stand is a little smaller than a 72 bow lol ( one on top i mean)

He he - no that is the tank- just an optical illusion. ;)

I am impressed!

Thanks !

Last edited:
Ok small update !

Here is where I am at right now. Lots of stuff to do this holiday season.
I thought while it is raining and I have got my home made chili in the crock put, why not post a few pics.

I had some friends come over and help me get this room all boarded up, 30 sheets in total.

My friend dave who was going to be doing the taping and mudding for me got called away to a learning seminar in Ohio. So I am let to do that myself - I suck with a trowel, but I will get it done.

picture.php

At least I am getting a fire place out of the deal, just for ambiants really. It is going to be electric - I was thinking about gas logs but I think venting it might be a little tough.

picture.php

For the tank stuff I managed to get all of the air lines, venting, waste, network and electrical in place.

From left to right =
4" vent hose to exhaust stand to outside (pushed back into ceiling for now) , waste line to my laundry sink (black) , ozone rich air vent to outside ( will be hooked to diy ozone reactor), skimmer air inlet from out side, cat 5e network cable for apex controller and 2 - 20 amp circuits (each will have it's own GFCI outlet.

picture.php

Here are the vents from the outside.
The 2 air hoses have cotton batting inside the tubes - this will filter particulates out of the air before entering my skimmer, also should keep the buggies out.
From left to right =
Skimmer air in, ozone out and stand vent out.

picture.php

And let me tell you - working around my 46 bow is a real pain in the rear.
So far no problems.
How to you like the cool use of my photography back drop stands to keep my pendant up?

You can see the side of my 72 bow sitting there in my laundry room.

I should have some paint on the walls late next week, so then it will be back to the tank.
As well as building a custom cherry mantle and surround for the fireplace.

picture.php

OOPs I missed yours ,

looks great.
nice workwomanship:)

:cool: :D Thanks Crib

I also forgot to mention that I got the RO product feed line run over there as well. It will come through the wall from my laundry room and be attached to my ATO reservoir with a float valve.

Currently it is being used to top off my 46 bow. I have to be very careful to not forget about it and cause a flood when topping off.

Last edited:
lookin kick _ _ _ if u werent so far away i wood come and tape it four u but your doing a good job

lookin kick _ _ _ if u werent so far away i wood come and tape it four u but your doing a good job

Thanks !
Would be nice if you lived closer.
My friend should be coming to help a bit on friday.
I do ok with the mudding, might require a bit more sanding than you pro's. :D

Oh I am not looking forward to sanding in there tomorrow, what a dusty mess.
It is also horrible for my hair and skin ( I just had to add the chick stuff in there ) :p

Thanks !
Would be nice if you lived closer.
My friend should be coming to help a bit on friday.
I do ok with the mudding, might require a bit more sanding than you pro's. :D

Oh I am not looking forward to sanding in there tomorrow, what a dusty mess.
It is also horrible for my hair and skin ( I just had to add the chick stuff in there ) :p
its not that bad four the skin i have been doing drywall 4 15 years and im fine worst is 2 breath it in but i have faith in u good luck

I have to say Jenn you are one handy person! you do more DIY work than I do! looks great be very careful sanding that suff with the tanks in the same room that has disaster plastered all over... no pun intended

Back