Jobs in New England dealing with marine life

showard

Non-member
I am going to school in the fall and I am curious to know what jobs that there are in marine biology around here that are not at SeaWorld. Maybe even some that are dealing with reefs or temperate animals.

Boston aquarium is always looking for people with a degree in marine life

Be warned: it is extremely difficult to make a living in marine biology. You better have good grades, a strong work ethic, and shake a lot of the right hands if you want to make it. Basically unless you're completely obsessed, I wouldn't recommend it, and even then I still kind of don't. If you do a quick search on indeed.com, monster, or any other job posting site you will quickly realize that there are VERY few positions in this field. About 50% of the people I graduated with never made a dime in marine science.

I don't want to be mean or discouraging, but you should seriously think long and hard about the reality of spending $50,000 on a degree for which there is almost no decent employment. Unless you are willing and able to prove that you are the best, it's a bad idea.

On the bright side I've been working in the field for 7 years. I started at the aquaculture research center of UNH when I was in college. From there I did some short temp work at Great Bay Aquaculture. When I graduated, I went to Alaska to work as a fisheries observer where I saw some of the most incredible things in the world (like orcas 5ft away creeping on our boat while we fished half a mile from a visibly erupting volcano). After four years in Alaska, I met the right people in my company and was able to get a job in electronic monitoring where I install camera systems on commercial long liners so we can track bluefin tuna bycatch on the east coast. I made it, but it was a hard road. And I got really lucky in a lot of ways, such as meeting the right people at the right time, and surviving several situations where I really thought I was actually going to die in the Bering Sea.

If I still haven't turned you off from marine science and if you only remember one thing from this post, remember this piece of advice: When you get to school, find a professor studying something you're interested in and volunteer in his/her lab. This might make you some money and more importantly it will get your name in scientific journals which is extremely impressive to future employers.

Since he is just starting school, sounds like he is looking for internships or apprenticeships. I'm sorry I don't know of any, but hopefully someone else does.

Otherwise, like any profession people succeed and people fail. I'm sure these stories are not eye opening for you, but remember most people are like crabs and like to pull people trying to get ahead back down into the pile.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Not wanting to pull you into any piles, ;) my sister in law went to school for marine biology. She now makes awesome pay, testing soil samples, like after katrina.

Since he is just starting school, sounds like he is looking for internships or apprenticeships. I'm sorry I don't know of any, but hopefully someone else does.

Otherwise, like any profession people succeed and people fail. I'm sure these stories are not eye opening for you, but remember most people are like crabs and like to pull people trying to get ahead back down into the pile.

Sounds like Arctic Ranger is giving really good advice since this is his field "been there done that". He's is showing that it's not all that great even though it's a SLIGHT chance that it could be. Showard if I where you I would be doing a lot of research on jobs in this field before making this a very expensive "hobby school" I'm not saying don't do it i'm saying look into the jobs for this field. My son will be going to college soon too he wants to be a CPA he's done lot of research in this field, talked to his teachers and already made some connections for college and maybe lined up a job. Good Luck with your decision Bud

...about the reality of spending $50,000 on a degree ....

$50K to get a degree?
I only remember I spend a quarter million for my older daughter to get her BA degree in computer science.
I had been eating Ramen noodle for those 4 years...

Last edited:
Sounds like Arctic Ranger is giving really good advice since this is his field "been there done that". He's is showing that it's not all that great even though it's a SLIGHT chance that it could be. Showard if I where you I would be doing a lot of research on jobs in this field before making this a very expensive "hobby school" I'm not saying don't do it i'm saying look into the jobs for this field. My son will be going to college soon too he wants to be a CPA he's done lot of research in this field, talked to his teachers and already made some connections for college and maybe lined up a job. Good Luck with your decision Bud
I agree, I would interpret arctics post as very helpful to a prospective student and my first thought was man I hope the OP gets in touch with him outside of this thread.

My comment was directed at the types that sandwiched my post. In hindsight I wish I didn't post it at all tbh and sorry I did. Its just one of those topics that hits close to home and I'm overly sensitive to it. I shouldn't post in the morning...I'm way to grumpy.

I knew it was more of a niche field, I kind of knew most of that but was hoping someone would prove me wrong because I am very passionet about my tank, much more than a lot of things. I am currently lined up for software engineering and it seems to be staying that way the more I look into other opportunities lol. I don't take any comments as mean or discouraging, just advice from friends. I most likely would have to move to California or work for a large aquaculture company. I could always be a professor lol.

$50K to get a degree?
I only remember I spend a quarter million for my older daughter to get her BA degree in computer science.
I had been eating Ramen noodle for those 4 years...

I hear that... I have my daughter in her second year of Mechanical Eng and my son has his EE and is getting his masters next month. Thank goodness I did not have to pay for that... a research grand for NASA paid for his masters and a stipend to live.

Just to think how much earlier I could have retired.

Good for you Chris.
At least we agreed not to pay for her wedding.

Good for you Chris.
At least we agreed not to pay for her wedding.

You agreed or did the wife? Lets see how that plays out... But I agree, we are not in the dark ages anymore and it may make them take marriage more serious when they are footing the bill.

My wife and I did not have a wedding ceremony, and we are married for 25 years. Wait, is that 26 years? Or it is 24 years?
Anyway, somewhere around there...

^^^^^^^^ The reason I am a plumber lol
I wanted to be a marine biologist at one point , then a doctor ( can't stand the sight of blood ) WHICH DOESN'T MAKE FOR A GOOD DOCTOR But honestly , if you are doing what you love and truely do love it then it wouldn't matter .

Marine biological laboratories (MBL), Woods Hole oceanographic institute (WHOI) are based out of Falmouth

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I graduated from unh with marine bio degree in 2013. Loved the classes that I took within the major, very interesting. After graduation I worked nights in a warehouse for a year and now am a lab tech at a environmental toxicology lab.

It is in no way a typical marine bio job such as swimming with dolphins or training seals. However I use my degree knowledge quite often on the job, such as doing large water parameter adjustments, splitting sediment cores or dealing with small marine organisms for our bioassays.

If your really passionate about the science I would say go for it, otherwise you'll kick yourself later in life when your doing something you don't enjoy. If making lots of money right of the bat is a higher priority, this may not be the best choice of major.

Be aware that jobs involved in marine sciences may not be in the typical places you'd think of. A lot of engineering firms we work with have field workers whose jobs are to get marine samples/sediment cores and to deal with the associated aspects involved, they get to go to sampling locations around the nation on company coin (lucky SOBs). As a disclaimer, I was by no means the top of my class haha, I also didn't have an internship with a teacher(no time, was a wrestler). As mentioned above, an internship/ better grades im sure would greatly help your employment opportunities.

Back