Joint dust

gordonzoo

Non-member
Now that I have your attention. :D
I'm finishing up my attic where our tank is located. I need to do a quite a bit of sanding. Is covering the tank with a sheet good enough or will I need to kick off the skimmer and tape together some plastic to cover? I'm not sure how toxic joint compound is to softies and schrooms.

Isn't gypsum Calcium Carbonate? Maybe someone can verify that.

I'd probably just cover it with two sheets. That'll keep out all the dust, but the tank will still breathe. You don't want to cut off all air to a tank that has fish in it, because they'll suffocate in short order.

When our floors were refinished I enclosed the tank in plastic, then ran an air pump from a back bedroom that was near a window. I sealed off the bedroom so air had to be drawn from the window
Kinda overkill...especially since the only thing in the tank at the time was Xenia & shrooms

i would imagine if introduced into the tank could change the PH and possibly other parameters

why not wet sand it it will save you alot of cleanup and no dust or risk of introducing it into the water column unless you tape the tank shut the dust will enter into the tank where ever you air flow is you will have gypsum dust

Last edited:
I'll give the wet sand a try. If it's too messy I will sheet the tank and turn off the skimmer portion of the filter until the dust settles. a few hrs off on the skimmer should'nt hurt as long as I don't feed for a while before hand.
Thanks for the input.

Back