This joint look OK?

Nate,
That's been floating around in the back of my mind... From top to bottom: Laminate, some sort of poly foam about 1/16" thick, 3/4" flake board, "studs" (if you want to call them that), what appears to be tar paper, and finally the cement. I think depending on the degree of the spill, I could be in for a mess.

Steve,
The question I was asking was about the joining the horizontal support for the tank to the vertical beam, not whether or not I should punch holes in the subfloor. I immediately got barraged on the fact that I cut holes in the subfloor, after I determined it was in my best interest, so I got a little testy. No worries though...

Steve

I believe you call studs like that "sleepers" but maybe someone like Darren can correct me.

I think you'll be fine if you caulk the joint between the floor and the stud going through the floor with a silicone caulk. You can get a matching color.

I think you'll be fine if you caulk the joint between the floor and the stud going through the floor with a silicone caulk. You can get a matching color.

Already did that, I had the same thoughts :D

Steve

Progress over the weekend...

I also finished running the 2 new 20 amp circuits for the tank. One circuit shares an outlet both upstairs at the show tank and an outlet at the sump, and the other circuit is a dedicated circuit for an outlet in the basement for the chiller and pump.

Steve

Last edited:
I got the RO/DI mounted above the sink as well and ran the line up through the ceiling and over the 32 gallon brute under the sump. I put plexi glass behind it in case of drips.

It's beginning to look like a fish room!

Steve

I hope you have 2x4's going the other way under that tank! I wouldn't trust the plywood alone to hold that weight over the long run, especially if it gets wet.

Heh...Heh, Heh...You said "Member"
beavis.jpg

NateHanson said:
Steve, Nice choice on the thread title too - as if we don't get in enough trouble with the name of our group! Now I'll bet if you google Joint and Reefer we'll be somewhere on the first page! :D

true that. the title of this thread is decieving. i must have opened up this thread 25 times in hope of something else, and i keep seeing holes in the floor. but that setup looks sweet. how do you like that geo reactor?

Derek, not sure I haven't used it yet. I bought the reactor used from another reefer in RI.

Steve

do those 2x4's go up to the floor joists...through the dropped ceiling?

it's looking good steve. i like the basement! the sink and counter top there with the RO/DI mounted over it...great little set up there for a "fish room".
what's the wife think about the take over now that it's manifesting itself?

ANDY

Andy,
Yep, they go up through the ceiling and are secured to the joists. I was aiming for a sturdy stand that I would be able to build off of in the future.

My wife and I have agreed that the 'fish room' is mine to do with as I please :) BTW, I have a beer fridge down there too. I'll be able to kick back, have a couple beers and watch the fuge!

Steve

Back