Just bought a SEBEA CLOWN and got a bonus

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
He was hosting a SEBEA ANEMONE(sp?) and he through it in for nothing since I know the guy. I am aclimating now and I hope the anemone does fine under my lighting. He said it was one of the lower light anemone's.

If you bought the Sebea anemone from Petco in Nashua, you might have a difficult time to come.

Those anemone require high light.

did they warn you how big they get???
mine loves high light.
just curious...i think mines roughly twenty four inches across fully extended.
one third of my 46 is devoted to him.

dont think the fact that he got it from petco has much to do with the problem...the problem is impulse buying and a not to knowlegable sales clerk ....his lighting is not enough and it wont survive.

The reason I asked is that I did see those kind of anemone in Nashua Petco and a sales there told me it was low light anemone.

LFS is not any better in this case.

mlamphere said:
dont think the fact that he got it from petco has much to do with the problem...the problem is impulse buying and a not to knowlegable sales clerk ....his lighting is not enough and it wont survive.

How much more light would i need? I have 135 watts on a 29 gallon = 4.65 watts per gallon. If it shows that it isn't going to survive i am sure there are people on this forum that would be glad to take him.

What kind of condition is it in? It should be tan or brown in color. If it is white, then it is probably in bad shape. The stuff inside the anemone that turns light into food is a brown color, and if it is gone then the anemone is on its way out. Your lighting might not be enough. Be sure to feed it meaty foods and seek alternitive housing if the tenticles aren't sticky and it doesn't close up over food. Be very carefull about salinity swings too.

~Flighty~ said:
What kind of condition is it in? It should be tan or brown in color. If it is white, then it is probably in bad shape. The stuff inside the anemone that turns light into food is a brown color, and if it is gone then the anemone is on its way out. Your lighting might not be enough. Be sure to feed it meaty foods and seek alternitive housing if the tenticles aren't sticky and it doesn't close up over food. Be very carefull about salinity swings too.

Tannish color with purple tips

~Flighty~ said:
Thats a good sign. I'm not sure if your light will be enough or not.

I will keep a close eye on the situation. I am confused though.... He was in the LFS for 5-6 weeks with less lighting than I have and he did fine and is healthy? :confused:

what kind of light do they have?
Well, your light might be OK for a BTA.

dz6t said:
got a pic?

Best I could do right now, My website is down and I had to use another host.
8148SEBEA_ANEMONE-med.jpg

Also known as: Leather Anemone, Radianthus keukenthali
The Sebae Anemone has a wide variety of colors. Primarily relies on it's sybiotic zooxanthellae, but also requires some solid foods as well i.e. pieces of shrimp, fish once to twice a week, which has been soaked in selcon or other like additive. The Heteractis malu can be aggressive toward other tankmates. Many consider the Heteractis malu a moderate-maintenance specimen. Has strong lighting needs. The Leather Anemone, Heteractis malu requires moderate water flow. Check out our Anemone & Clownfish Symbiotic Chart. Keep water quality high (SG 1.023 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78? F). The Sebae Anemone is commonly collected from Tonga, Fiji.

Last edited:
That Very nice anemone needs a lot of MH lighting.

I have plenty of btas-I'll trade you -if this one is starting to make you nervous.
This is probably a H. crispa (not a malu). BTAs would be much better in your lighting.

My crispa is 100x that size in a 120. I've room for another in my 180.

Let me know.

karl wagner said:
That Very nice anemone needs a lot of MH lighting.

I have plenty of btas-I'll trade you -if this one is starting to make you nervous.
This is probably a H. crispa (not a malu). BTAs would be much better in your lighting.

My crispa is 100x that size in a 120. I've room for another in my 180.

Let me know.

YGPM

Back