Kalkwasser line clog

Ttran102

BRS Member
To anyone who use kalkwasser reactor or stirrer do your line clog like every week or two? Every week I have to make sure my output line is clear or else there's a build up and end up clogging. Is there anyway I can get a t adapter and get a small pump to flush it out like once every hr or something to prevent it from clogging?

Thats a good idea. I believe the Kalk precipitation happens when it hits air (so only the spot where it actually drips out will have this issue).

If you use RO tubing for your kalk drip (what I do) you could add a john guest T fitting shortly before where your Kalk actually drips out. Connect that to a small power head on a timer and you’ll have your flush system. (You can get an “interval timer” on amazon for under $20 - that can be set to run for 1-60 minutes, however often through the day). You could also feed it T’eed off of an existing pump and controlled by a solenoid and timer (pump runs alm the time, solenoid opens and closes to feed the kalk flush.

Connecting is just an exercise in creative DIY :)

Depends on the powerhead / pump you have or want to use.

-For maxi Jet pumps, they have a round output that matches a 1/2" John guest (it could be 3/8, but I think it's 1/2. Take the pump to home depot to fit it). To connect that you get a 1/2 x 1/4" john guest fitting to connect.

-for a mag2 or mag3, they have a 1/2" MPT (Male pipe thread) output. So use a 1/2 FPT (female pipe thread) x 1/2" FPT adaptor, and then a 1/2" MPT x 1/4" john guest fitting.

For any other pump, tell me the output and I can help you figure out the connection. Home depot or lowes should have everything you need for most connections (unless you have something with metric fittings, then good luck)

I think there is a much simpler approach void of pumps and fittings. Use an old 30ml mixing cup, a bottle cap, whatever. Secure the end of your tubing so that it just sits below the surface of the liquid filling the small container/cap. Being immersed in the fluid will prevent the end from solidifying with crust. Think of it as a tiny overflow. no pumps to time break or otherwise ruin one of your mornings.....lol
The outside of the little container will form some crust, but the line will never clog if kept wet.

K.I.S.S. principle = Keep It Simple Stupid

That's only part of the reason I use a small cup. It can't siphon, but more importantly I get to see the small cup overflow into the sump and I sleep better seeing this. If you just left the line in and your hose sprung a leak or stopped working you might not catch it before bad things happen. A tiny cup or an old API test tube with the hose in it is the most goof proof setup I can think of.

So if you do get that "reverse siphon", what keeps the cup from emptying? Or does that even matter?

Lots of ways doing this....

I tried that and it created a reverse syphon. I just clean mine every 2 weeks now.....
I just realized some folks might still be adding the Kalk to their ATO. In fact pulling a siphon is another wonderful reason to not do it that way. I use a dosing pump for Kalk and tune delivery based on evaporation. My ATO is only there for dry times when evap is higher and the doser could be bumped up.

When I first read your reply I thought you meant you pulled a siphon through your doser pump and was going to recommend you look real close at the bad head on it....lol

If the cup empties, air enters the tube and siphon is lost.

I thought your not suppose to have the output of the kalkwasser submerge in water? Will something like this work? One line will be kalkwasser and the other is ato but both will come out in the same output line.

Attachments

• IMG_6889.png
    IMG_6889.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 46
I thought your not suppose to have the output of the kalkwasser submerge in water? Will something like this work? One line will be kalkwasser and the other is ato but both will come out in the same output line.
Looks like a potential solution to me.

edit adding; I wonder how much volume of fresh water it will take to keep the kalk from building up? Will there be that much in normal operation? (I'd try it and see)

Last edited:
Back