Zeefishies

BRS Member
Gm all,
Is anyone dosing Kalkwasser?
and what method? Pros and cons
and is it a good idea dosing it an ato?
my 80 gal system goes through a gal or so daily
Thank You in advance Zee

I was using kalk through a doser, it was dosed throughout the night and I didn’t have enough consumption for it to be beneficial for me. It bumped my ph but my alk just kept climbing. I’ve since took it offline and simply do weekly water changes and my tanks have never looked so happy (kiss approach for me). What are you getting for daily alk consumption? What is your goal for running kalk? What do you keep in your tank coral wise?

I have mostly soft coral few monties, sound's like water changes will b e cheaper and easier
to keep alk/cal stabble.
i dose brightwell 2 part , but thinkin on a cheaper way to go

I loved the idea and sound of kalk and what it could do for my tank. What I wasn’t taking into account was the fact that I simply don’t have that big of demand as some of the huge systems that people are talking about dosing kalk 24/7. A lot of the videos you see are coral farms and aquaculture facilities so we see that and want to apply it to our own setups but we are such a drastically smaller scale. So instead of maintaining alk it’s gradually increasing it to get that ph boost everyone keeps raving about. This is only my two cents on it don’t take it and run with it. I think at this stage for me I’m not having crazy consumption that I just top up with fresh water and do a 10% weekly water change. It keeps things stable and like I said my tank has not looked as happy will that change in the future as things grow maybe but time will tell. I also like the idea of the 10% weekly water changes as it also gets your trace elements in there and it’s just a great way to clean up the tank.

Back