Large bristle worm

kkeller416

Non-member
I have a very large bristle worm I've been trying to catch...I think it's responsible for a few missing creatures in my tank..any tricks for getting it out of the rock work..currently in a 5 gallon bucket..
I've tried dipping in high salinity water...food at bottom of mason jar..Panty hose over a bottle..food always goes missing..

I have a very large bristle worm I've been trying to catch...I think it's responsible for a few missing creatures in my tank..any tricks for getting it out of the rock work..currently in a 5 gallon bucket..
I've tried dipping in high salinity water...food at bottom of mason jar..Panty hose over a bottle..food always goes missing..

Soda water into suspected hole in rock. Possibly h2o2 also.

Either one the worm should come right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old school trick is to take some smelly food (raw shrimp, raw fish, clump of frozen anything) and wrap it up in an woman's stocking and leave it in the tank (bucket) at night. The bristle worms usually go after the food and get stuck to the stocking.

Maybe try this since it's in a bucket;

raise the rock up somehow, maybe propped up on egg crate, or even tied with twine to something laid across the top of the bucket. However you do it, raise the rock up so that it's more than the length of the worm off of the bottom of the bucket. Then add the same smelly food to the bottom of the bucket. Keep an eye on it, and if/when the worm comes out to go after the food, wait until it crawls all the way out of the rock, then remove the rock.

I've also read that you can actually put your rock in a bucket and fill it with dechlorinated freshwater and the worm should come crawling out quickly after. Only downfall is the potential die off on the rock with the freshwater dip.

Haven't actually done this myself tho.

Last edited:
I like John’s idea of the bucket. You can also use a trap made of a tube with endcaps and two pieces of straw on each end cap. Throw some food in it and they’ll crawl in and can’t get out

Mine is probably a bad suggestion, but considering how afraid I am of those things, I say throw the rock away! lol

Something a friend of mine did was what was mentioned above; put it the rock in fresh water. The amount of die off on the rock shouldn't be that much at all considering how fast they come out.

Back