Larvae ID help

luu78

BRS Member
Hi everyone! As the light went out tonight, I noticed a vast number of photogenic larvae following my handy headlight. I siphoned them out and set up a quick rearing glass. Under the microscope at 40x magnification, they look like miniature horseshoe crabs. This is from my invert dominated Nano-reef contest tank which I know for sure had a gravid Pom Pom crab about 3 weeks back and a gravid white spotted cleaner shrimp. I havent seen the egg clutch on the Pom Pom for at least 2 weeks and I dont think the two Pom Poms in the tank are a pair anyways since they're never seen together. For sure, I have a mated pair of the white spotted anemone shrimps since they are always together. When I went to inspect the gravid anemone shrimp, she either already laid a brand new clutch of eggs within minutes of releasing her larvae or the egg clutch on her is still growing and not yet hatched. I know some cleaner shrimps take turns laying eggs which would mean the male is now carrying a new egg clutch. But there is an egg clutch on one of them. Quick search on Google images show no similarity to images found for Pom Pom larvae and no images for white spotted anemone shrimp larvae. Anyone find images of white spotted anemone shrimp larvae please post on here. Take a look at the pictures taken with my iphone of the larvae and tell me what you guys think? I have a video but cant upload here.

Thanks

c93ba0f2fe4b40fb2025668d7bf23cd7.jpg

d888c8427ec5c28b466effbe37b9d083.jpg

cbc3c5e5d629135f8229b7e0c2b20bf5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool find. They really do look like little horseshoe crabs right now; it'll be interesting to see how they develop.

Definitely not shrimp larvae, these guys attach to the walls of the jar and will swim when light is shined on it. I found that certain shrimp larvae need an anemone such as condy and another in the family of aptaisa to attach to if I plan to rear them. This is fun! It seems that some have molted since I find the molts floating on the water surface. Will check them out again every night under the microscope

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Back