Lasers vs reef pests....

Can a laser heat anything up through water? I'd think the infrared would be blocked/absorbed by the glass and water.

Also, will the refraction through the air/glass/water interfaces disperse the beam?

Can a laser heat anything up through water? I'd think the infrared would be blocked/absorbed by the glass and water.

Also, will the refraction through the air/glass/water interfaces disperse the beam?

Not with anything that would be available, or affordable, by the public.

I'm a bit more low tech myself,
but I have pretty good luck with the flame thrower and holster I fashioned for my gorrila crab. He's into it but sometime he acts out a little and nukes a pep or two.
Too me it's just proof that gorillas age at 2x Us. See he's with me 8 years now so that would make him a 16 year old with a flame thrower.
Nuff said?
:)

but I have pretty good luck with the flame thrower and holster I fashioned for my gorrila crab. He's into it but sometime he acts out a little and nukes a pep or two.
Too me it's just proof that gorillas age at 2x Us. See he's with me 8 years now so that would make him a 16 year old with a flame thrower.
Nuff said?

:confused:

A gorilla crab with a flame thrower...sounds like somebody is spending to much time with his rocks...seems like you have rocks for brains now :eek: :D jk

Crab + Flame thrower = Good Times.
Any Clue how to mount a Bic Lighter to my Sally Lightfoot?

Nuff said?
8 years? How big is he?? My 2.5 year old is like 3" across and I thought he was pretty big. Didn't know they lived that long. Better make sure I keep feeding him!

8 years? How big is he?? My 2.5 year old is like 3" across and I thought he was pretty big. Didn't know they lived that long. Better make sure I keep feeding him!

Not that big,
Actually I have 2 of them that came in on the some Fiji rock from Nov of 99.
I'd say they're like 2.5-3" across the carapace.

Just the other day I had one mugging a blasto colony so I picked it up and shook it, Instead of jumping off he ran up the coral and onto my hand. Kinda freaky they remind me of tarantulas.

Not that big,
Actually I have 2 of them that came in on the some Fiji rock from Nov of 99.
I'd say they're like 2.5-3" across the carapace.

Just the other day I had one mugging a blasto colony so I picked it up and shook it, Instead of jumping off he ran up the coral and onto my hand. Kinda freaky they remind me of tarantulas.
Yikes. I don't think I'd want mine anywhere near my hand. Although I guess it would be better than a Mantis!

I'll keep feeding mine so I can claim the title of biggest gorilla crab.

ya know...as silly as this sounds....water reduces the thermal damage caused.....but it would still work... if it was cost affective that is lol

Well thats the benefit of our modified, xanthid-based deployment system. It reduces the amount of water between the laser and the target. There may be some miniaturization issues with the laser technology, however. Although we might be able to work around that with some genetic tinkering.

Wow that is so on topic of this thread, I can't even believe it! :)

Wow :eek: I can't believe that those are legal. If they got into the wrong hands (they probably already did) who knows what they can do. If I can think that at about a thousand feet using a spotting scope I can lets say set off a firecracker well then use your imagination ;).

Why not mount the laser in a long skinny tube with a thin glass end? That way you have only the small amount of water between the thin glass and the "victim" which would reduce the amount "dilution" of the beam by a ton.

Back