Leaking current

Are there any problems with this other than me getting my hand shocked when I stick it in the tank? I know what pump it is, my skimmer, but I need it to be running right now so I can't shut it off.

leaking current is REALLY bad for fish and inverts. Replace the pump, get a ground for the tank, but get rid of the leak ASAP. If the current leak gets worse, it can pop the breaker on the circuit all that stuff is plugged into. How long will your tank last if the skimmer pump you suspect is leaking current trips the circuit it is plugged into?

THATS REALLY BAD if you are getting "buzzed" then so is everything in the tank. Shutting down the skimmer isn't as bad as a total loss!

THATS REALLY BAD if you are getting "buzzed" then so is everything in the tank. Shutting down the skimmer isn't as bad as a total loss!

Actually, the animals will not get "buzzed" unless there is a path to ground for the electricity to follow. If the voltage has nowhere to go, then nothing gets bothered.

If the pump is the skimmer pump, I don't see why you "NEED" to run it. Shut it off until you get a new pump. I sometime forget to plug back the skimmer pump after a water change for days.

I need the skimmer because the tank was just moved/setup so I want anything in the water to be pulled out. It isn't always leaking the current which is the odd part.

Two ways to fix this problem;

Pull the pump and smash it with a hammer so as no to be tempted to use it for anything else, then of course replace it with the highest quality pump you can find.

Or do nothing and either your fish and corals will fail or you will "fail" reaching in to maintain them.
in that case problem solved also as you won't need that pump anymore.

Edit:
Above is a joking way of telling you you are foolish to leave it in!

Last edited:
Back