Learn me: aquarium controllers

tjbell

Non-member
I see so many people running controllers on their tanks, what exactly do they do? eliminate annoying timmers? better control over the entire thing? just curious
thanks
TJ

Where to start.....
Yes, eliminate timers:)
Will help control your temperature automatically and in the event of a failure shut it off!
Control the solenoid on a Calcium Reactor to keep the pH in balance.
Simulate a wave pattern on powerheads.
Shut off pumps when feeding time.

The list can go on and on............

some controllers are good for one thing, some are good at something else, some are good for controlling more than one or the other, unfortunately there is none that I know of that can do all or most of the things one would need to make a reef tank worry free. the hardware is there, not that expensive either, especially if bought in bulk, unfortunately the market for these all in one controllers is not large enough to justify somebodies time to put together an affordable and universal hard / software package.

you will have to pick what features are most important to you and start shopping or building based on that.

I see so many people running controllers on their tanks, what exactly do they do? eliminate annoying timmers? better control over the entire thing? just curious
thanks
TJ
Examples:
Your heater breaks and keeps on heating...the controller stops it.
Salinity drops, your controller Emails you. (I think there is one out there that does this).
You don't like water changes...there is one controller that will do it for you.
You don't want to buy a separate ATO...the controller will do it.
You don't like timers...the controller has your back
You have Koralia pumps and want wave mode...the controller will do that.
You want your lights to dim automatically...the controller will do it.

As others have already posted there are a LOT of things a controller can do for you.

If you're handy or just like to tinker you could get involved with the BRS Arduino Controller build. We've only met once on it so you haven't missed a lot. Check out the thread here: http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums...ers-Evolving-Arduino-Build&highlight=evolving

If for some more ideas of what a controller can do, and what we might focus on, check out the "feature poll" for the Arduino build here: http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums...0-Arduino-Netduino-Project-Functionality-Poll

How in depth can you go with the programming of a Reefkeeper Lite? For example this is what I would like to do. My current tank (an All-in-one) has two return pumps. When both return pumps are running along with my Jebao WP-10, I have way too much flow in my tank than I like. I currently run one return pump at a time, switching which pump is plugged in every time I think about it. I do occasionally run both return pumps in order to remove some detritus build up in lower flow areas however, this causes the return chamber to lower down and activate my ATO unless I unplug it at well. So with the RKL, can I:

1. Have both return pumps alternate between them on and off throughout the day.

And

2. Have a set point in the day where my ATO is switched off and both pumps run for a brief period.

Is the RKL (Basic) capable of this type of operation or would I need a different controller for this?

How in depth can you go with the programming of a Reefkeeper Lite? For example this is what I would like to do. My current tank (an All-in-one) has two return pumps. When both return pumps are running along with my Jebao WP-10, I have way too much flow in my tank than I like. I currently run one return pump at a time, switching which pump is plugged in every time I think about it. I do occasionally run both return pumps in order to remove some detritus build up in lower flow areas however, this causes the return chamber to lower down and activate my ATO unless I unplug it at well. So with the RKL, can I:

1. Have both return pumps alternate between them on and off throughout the day.

And

2. Have a set point in the day where my ATO is switched off and both pumps run for a brief period.

Is the RKL (Basic) capable of this type of operation or would I need a different controller for this?

Not 100% sure about the RKL programming, but with an Apex Jr. that would be pretty easy to program.

Each outlet for your returns would be setup with the OSC (oscillation) command. You would do something like this:

Pump1: OSC 0 / 60 / 60 (start immediately, run for 60 minutes, sleep for 60 minutes)
Pump2: OSC 60 / 60 / 0 (sleep for 60 minutes, run for 60 minutes, no delay before sleeping again for 60 minutes)

The OSC command always starts from Midnight. The 1st number is how long to stay OFF, the second how long to be ON, and then how long to turn OFF again.

Then you could program a Virtual Outlet and override PUMP1 and PUMP2 at a certain time, as well as shutting off the ATO for a period of time.

Back