LED strip for actinics

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
Who has them?

What did you buy?

Do you like them?

Would you buy them again? If not, what would Plan B be?

looking for some blue/actinic to supplement the 250MH on my new tank.....

Ive seen people use the long skinny heat sinks and use Cree 3 watt LEDs in the royal blue and do a string of them across the tank and it looks nice. Brings out colors without your tank looking like windex

Been looking also but I'm not trying to grow just want the dusk/dawn effect.LFS's carry trulumens and IMO are pricey $230 for a 48"...but I saw this http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Submersible-p/56222.htm seems very interesting for the money.
I had a few questions like it what's actual dims ,does it need to be submerged for proper cooling and are they 12 1 watt leds or do the 12 equal 1 watt?When I called yesterday to ask I was told to call back Friday????

I'm looking for some actinic pop on a 5x2 28" tall tank....I don't know if 4 LED's would do it.

They have a kit HERE with 9 Cree XT-E Royal Blue LEDs. I'm not looking for actinic supplement, looking for the late night "black light poster" pure actinic where I would run them by themselves, no MH. Would these work? Would they give a similar appearance as the CF or VHO actinic bulbs? Also, this is on a 92 corner bowfront, is 9 too many, not enough? One last question, what is the difference between thermal adhesive and thermal grease?

Last edited:
There are heatsinks that are "drilled and tapped" for the LEDs, maybe for those you use the grease? Bruno, thanks for the link, it's just what I've been looking for.

I did this and love what I did look in my post I have a LED DIY. I'm on my phone I can't/dont know how to put the like up ill do it tonight when I get home tho.

Just Recently Got a 36" reef brite LED All Blue Fixture and LOVE IT!!!

Makes my colors absolutely POP like throwing a Black Light on, but no look of Fluorescent Nice Nice shimmering Affect. Cant stress how much I love them Also supposedly have twice the par as a T-5 Only had it on a few weeks and have seen more Growth. I Run them an hour before an hour after my Main lights turn on. Love them stay up late some nights just to see them come on. LOL
Little pricey though new they go for like 230$ luckily I got them used on here.

To OP don`t know where you live but if your close feel free to stop by anytime.

-Owen

There are heatsinks that are "drilled and tapped" for the LEDs, maybe for those you use the grease? Bruno, thanks for the link, it's just what I've been looking for.

that sounds about right, almost all heatsinks ive seen are made from aluminum. Aluminum threads easily strip out so lubricant is needed.

The thermal 'grease' is arctic silver. you put a very thin layer of this on your led pad and it creates a nice sealed contact between the heat sink and the leds for heat transfer. If you don't tap and screw on your leds (I do not) you mix this with equal parts adhesive, basically making a heat conductive epoxy.
+1 on the rapid led royal blue. These things give me colors I didn't even know WERE colors. haha

Back