Adding LED strip to t5?

vypa

NHiMO & DAViD
I have the 36" AquaticLife T5 with the moonlights built in, but not a fan of the LED imo looks dull. I wanted to buy a stunner LED strip in Magenta/Royal Blue to replace it but wasn't sure if that's overdoing the lights? I have ATI blue, aqua blue, & purple plus on it now.

- Nhi

should be fine. stunner strips are great for "bright" moon lights, and or to add spectrum lacking in a light. they have a bunch of options for colors too.

note:stunner strips dont put out much par. if you want to add par, go for the panorama modules.....but then you might have a hard time fitting/attaching it to your fixture.

should be fine. stunner strips are great for "bright" moon lights, and or to add spectrum lacking in a light. they have a bunch of options for colors too.

note:stunner strips dont put out much par. if you want to add par, go for the panorama modules.....but then you might have a hard time fitting/attaching it to your fixture.

Sounds good :) I have the LEDs on late at night while the other lights are during the day so the amount of PAR isn't an issue. I was afraid it'd be too much but since it isn't I'm gonna go ahead & buy a strip. Thanks!

Any way to intertwine the timer of the LEDs that comes with the T5 with the strip? If not a separate timer will have to do.

IMO the magenta coloring will be fairly washed out by the intensity of the T5s.

Thanks for the input! My LEDs come on for a short amount of time with my blue/purple lights then stays on by itself from midnight until early morning. So I'm mostly just concerned when it's on by itself.

With the build in timer on those T5 light, You should be able to set it so that it can go on whatever time you want. If you want the LED strip to come on at the same time as the T5, you might need to run it on another timer (you could get a cheap one from Lowes for $2-$3).
Believe or not, the 4 double LED moon light on those aquaticlife are very bright at least for your tank. I used to have the same one 3 years ago too.

Last edited:
With the build in timer on those T5 light, You should be able to set it so that it can go on whatever time you want. If you want the LED strip to come on at the same time as the T5, you might need to run it on another timer (you could get a cheap one from Lowes for $2-$3).
Believe or not, the 4 double LED moon light on those aquaticlife are very bright at least for your tank. I used to have the same one 3 years ago too.

Yes I'm aware of adjusting the timer, I was just curious if there was a way to manually disconnect the stock LEDs & rewire to work with the strip. So the built-in timer will work for the strip instead of using a separate timer, if not a separate timer isn't too much of a hassle. I just have to many wires coming from the tank lol. Here's a pic with just the LEDs on.
cc0e457e-ab49-a415.jpg

It does make some colors pop but it's a bit on the dark side which is why I chose to have it on late when I'm asleep lol. I looked at pics of some tanks of the magenta/deep blue strip & everything is viewable in the tank & a lot more colors pop.

Ahh well in that case of them being by themselves then nope you should have no problems. I mean MAYBE a slight increase in algae from constant lights being on, but I doubt it. Especially in the blue spectrum.

Also, as far as timers go, i'd personally just get a $120 reefkeeper light. You can control everything with timers and control heaters and fans and it really is worth every penny for sure.

Remember, fish and coral need some dark time to sleep. I would only run the "moon lights" or led strip for an hour or two after the main lights go off.

Back