Lets talk about "FLOW"

HuuTa

Non-member
What do you guys think is the best flow pattern for mix reef?Wave,gyro,plusating or turbulence

I started with pulse, then wave, then the random mode (vortech) Now I'm using one of the yellow modes (reef crest or lagoon) basically it gradually peaks out at high flow then gradually slows down to almost nothing. And repeats, everything seems to like it a lot more in my tank.

Jay,

On your vortech, yellow is random mode. reef and lagoon are both considered random. If you have the gradual ramp up/down, that would be lagoon. you should have the 3rd and 4th led on the driver lit with a ayellow dial.

For me, i use 2 mp40s in tidal swell mode. seems to work.

in my opinion, we will never mimic a real ocean in terms of flow. in a mixed reef, we have corals with differnt requirements. The best flow is that which provides health to all of your corals.

I started with pulse, then wave, then the random mode (vortech) Now I'm using one of the yellow modes (reef crest or lagoon) basically it gradually peaks out at high flow then gradually slows down to almost nothing. And repeats, everything seems to like it a lot more in my tank.

+1 on that. I run both my MP40W on Reef Crest -Anti Sync mode. It creates a lot of turbulence trough out the tank, but also ramps down enough to give corals a break from the strong flow...That along with proper coral placement has worked very well for me ;)

I also use the "Night Mode", which slows down the pumps to 25% power from 10PM to 8AM. I believe this gives the fishies time to sleep without strong currents and corals time to feed/absorb water nutrients

Higor

i also use the night time mode with my vortechs. I feel the same way as higor regarding the ability for corals to feed. Fish will hide though. but yea, a gentle flow to carry stuff over the corals is nice.

Back