Lets talk cleanup

Pat02026

Non-member
Does anybody use a canister filter with a gravelvac attached to cleanup their sandbed? With just a floss filter to trap particles in the canister, and possibly carbon to further polish the water?

When you say "sand bed", do you mean a DSB, or a shallower sand bed? To put it another way, what is your intent with the sand bed?

If it's just a thin layer for asthetic purposes than vacc'ing it may be a good idea. If you are looking to employ it as a DSB (encourage de-nitrification and production of micro fauna) then you shouldn't be vacc'ing it at all.

Well theres a good point. My bed is about 3" thick in most areas, so I guess it is justifiable to consider it a DSB. I was curious as to wether or not people were lightly pulling anything from the surface of the bed. I am just trying to prepare for maintnence, as right now I am coming up to my tanks first month of running. Just trying to cover all the bases. My best bet would then be to employ a few crabs/snails/shrimp to take care of the task of keeping the sandbed clean and let it run its course without disturbing it? Is 2.5-3" average thick bed enough to be capable of supporting the necessary life needed to promote denitrification or is that too shallow? FWIW I have a 12x14" area in my sump that is designated as a mini fuge area with 4-5" thick sand, about 10lb of rubble rock and a 6" ball of cheato under a full spectrum flourecent on a reverse light cycle with the DT. (if that makes any difference) Thanks for the input!

I don't use a canister filter, but occasionally I will use a siphon tube to clean the sand in my tank. It always surprises me how dirty the water can be in some areas.

Personally I have never done much to clean the surface of my sand beds.

If detritis collects in spots, definately siphion that out. Otherwise, if there is excessive cyano growth or other crap growing on the sand, then you probably have other husbandry issues to deal with. IME when I have my nutrient control fairly well dialed in, the sand and rock stays pretty clean without much if any manual cleaning.

As far as using the canister filter, I would just siphion out any crap and replace the water removed. Doing it as part of a water change would IMO work better, cost less in the long run, and be easier.

Just my $.02

Back