Let's talk about my eel and covering my tank!

TomD

Non-member
I am not a fan of covering a tank. I will NEVER use glass covers. I hate hoe everything else blocks light.

Can we agree (Or maybe this is just my experience), that generally if they jump, they do so at night?

I have something perfect to cover the tank at night. The snowflake eel doesn't leave the bottom portion of the tank, at least during the day. I love this fish and don't want to lose him. He is about 6" and just awesome.

Let me know if you all think I am safe during the day.

At night I have a blackboard that fits perfect that I cut little air holes in.

Pic of my favorite eel, Ralph!:)

Attachments

• eel on the prowel.jpg
    eel on the prowel.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 177
I have heard using moon lights can decrease the chances of night jumpers. Don't know how true it is. But if you only plan on covering the tank at night u could always just throw some eggcrate over it.

My snowflake jumped at night so it sounds right to me. I came down for a glass of water while still half asleep in the middle of the night and thought my wifes scrunchie was on the ground so I picked it up and it started wiggling in my hand. Scared the crap out of me. I put it back in and he was fine but he jumped out again one night when I didn't get thirsty and I found him dried up. Poor guy. That was in a red sea max too by the way thats mostly covered except for a small slit in the back of the tank.

I even lost a clown to jumping but again it was at night. At this point, I feel comfortable to leave it open during the day and close it up at night. I hope I am right, and will report back.

I hope that works out for you Tom. I also agree with the mesh it does not block the light and in your case not too big of deal since there are no corals. I would just be worried that by thinking he may only jump at night....he may just jump during the day(sorry Murphy's Laws the theme of this hobby) :eek:

If you want I have some mesh laying around you could come by and see the difference in person.

I'd get some of that clear mesh from cra and a screen frame kit this stuff doesn't block any light at all. Better safe than sorry

I will look into the mesh. Tabby I may take you up on the offer. I Am down in RI twice a week so I can stop by to see Jeremy.

What I use for my Brazilian dragon moray is just put eggcrate around the parameter, which goes about 4 inches over water in the tank. My eel has never tried jumping so I don't know if it would hold up against her but I think it being there keeps it from trying to hard.

They MOSTLY jump at night. I have had one(snowflake) get out in the middle of the day though. I have also had my giant lion jump out when the lid was up from feeding, and I was sitting on the couch right next to him when it happened! Half measures avail us nothing, I suggest complete covering 24/7.

Also, what happens if you want to go away for a night or two???? I agree with Kevin, you should be looking at a permanent solution

eels can escape at any time. i just got some ribbon eels which really enjoy escaping. in 3 days i have retrieve them from the sump and the overflow 4 times now. i am gonna go with the clear mesh in a few days.

Back