Let's Talk Growing Your Own Food

Matt L.

Non-member
Who here raises their own food for their tank?

I'm thinking of starting to raise my own copepods, and would like to hear from others who do.

I would also like to hear from people who grow other foods (animal, vegetable, or mineral) for their reef, and how they do it,

Matt:cool:

I was just talking with another reefer who keeps a small tank with guppies that rapidly multiply. He said he throws a net-full of fry in his reef and watches a complete feeding frenzy. I was thinking about setting up a 10 gallon and giving it a try.

Steve

I raise FW guppies, or at least that is a glorified description of a tank that started with two and now has 363 guppies. If anyone wants a bucket full let me know.

I tried to raise copepods but didn't go too far. I started with the seapods and fed with phyto, followed the instructions on Reefkeeping magazine but in the long term i did not see the "pod boom" I was expecting.

Armando said:
I tried to raise copepods but didn't go too far. I started with the seapods and fed with phyto, followed the instructions on Reefkeeping magazine but in the long term i did not see the "pod boom" I was expecting.
I could give it a try...

Any other people riase their own food?

Matt, maybe set up a refugium with "pod piles" ?
Try a search on RC for a description and tips.

Oh, I got the refugium with the pod piles, albeit a relatively small refugium (on a handful of gallons). I was just curious to see if people felt like talking about what foods they grow in general.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back