levimesol

You can use either, but the powder form is more stable long term (like years). You can mix up small quantities when you dip stuff that is coming in. The powder is a bit more difficult to measure.

where can i find levimesol. i know the vet....but i dont have a dog...so.

The dog stuff from the vet is interceptor (for red bugs), not Levamisol. Levamisol is a sheep dewormer and is used to kill acro flatworms. FWIW, I've used Levamisol many times and killed almost every coral I dipped in it. It's very potent stuff. If you're trying to dip for acro flatworms, a less harsh treatment is Betadine. I believe the dosage is 3 ml for 1 liter of tank water. You can buy it at CVS for about $15.

HTH -
Daire

Daire I talked to someone that is very knowledgable that actually thinks betadine is more harsh on the coral than Levamisol.

All I have ever used is Betadine but it is just a thought to ponder.

Daire I talked to someone that is very knowledgable that actually thinks betadine is more harsh on the coral than Levamisol.

Most people I know that have used Levamisol has killed most of what they have dipped in it.

Well I can only speak from my own experience. I've never killed anything in a Betadine dip, but I've killed most everything in Levamisol.

Well I can only speak from my own experience. I've never killed anything in a Betadine dip, but I've killed most everything in Levamisol.

That is interesting, thanks for sharing. So the corals died?

I have never had an issue with betadine either.

We use interceptor and betadine on every coral and have not lost anything. We have heard from several members of corals being lost due to Levamisole treatment.

-Gina

We lost a coral when we used Levamisol, and a couple of corals lost some of their color during treatment. Some got their color back, and some did not. We would definately go with the Betadine over the Levamisole, hands down.

Last edited:
Wow, this is interesting. I know that it is a real low dose with Levamisole.

I have been doing interceptor 5 1/2hrs then 1/2 with betadine and so far so good. Knock on wood!

i have also heard that an iodine dip will work also, im gonna have to do some research....

not in my experience.
Levamisole is way harsher

and not only that,levamisole does NOT always kill AEFW,so IMO it is not worth risking its use

Back