Light recommendation

cfd65

Non-member
So a few months back was given the ok from the warden to turn the basement playroom into a space for me and her to get away from the kids. A few weeks into demo and she comes up with the idea for a in wall tank behind the bar needless to say I was sold. We had a reef tank about 7 yrs ago and remember the older kids would shut the tv off at night and watch the tank instead. Room is 95% complete and I have slowly been piecing together the 75 gallon rr tank with 55 gallon sump just need advice on led lighting for ultimately a soft coral tank with anemone. I'd say priced up to $350..... I had seen Chinese 165 watt and been given thought to purchasing 2 of them would rather hear from the board on other options first.

Softies are fine under almost anything, but anemones need strong light or they'll wander more and cause trouble. Aqua illuminations are nice and not as expensive as radions and now the new HD versions are stronger. Probably more like $350 each for 2 ai hydras. I only have experience with AI so I can't vouch for other brands. Aquamaxx just came out with some lights that look nice and affordable and they make nice stuff.

nowadays almost anything would work . as for leds AI really cant be beat . Ocean Revive are good reefbreeders also but a bit hard to program the "black Box " leds will grow corals for sure , problem with those is how long they last or if they won't kill you when you touch them lol. I had 2 of them and both of them gave me a real good shock even a cheap pair of old sol blues will work great . the hydra 26 are my budget choice . 52's are my choice and what I run

Don't take my word for it, but I believe Yorgos at Love The Reef has 3 used AI Hydras for sale with minimal use on them. I saw them when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure if they are 26's or 56's, but you can call and ask.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For your tank, a 6 bulbs ATI sun power T5 would be perfect for sps and anything else you want to grow. If you are sure that you only want LPS and an anemone, then a 4 bulbs sunpower would do the job. Steverano is selling one for 200 bucks in the for sale forums.

I know that you start out one way and change ur mind as you get more involved in the art. For me I like the way the soft corals look and move with the flow of water. That's not to say that as my tank matures so won't I and might venture out to more difficult corals and I understand that I will ultimately venture out and will need to upgrade but I'd rather wait for my tank to mature before I spend top dollar for the necessary equipment and enjoy the tank as it is for a while. Gonna be a few weeks before I start plumbing my sump so please any info anyone has would be appreciated I want to set this up right so I have the best opportunity to succeed seeing how this will be a focal point of my mantown. I've been trying to upload a photo but am completely computer illiterate and can't figure it out.

I have been running 16" timer model SB reef light for a year now over my 40 breeder. This is 16" above the water. Stuff is growing well. Good price point and support too
6e8e9bd6155c85b10d5e4fffab99490e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

For $350, you can buy a nice used 6 bulb t5 and brand new bulbs.
I would go with a quality t5 instead of inexpensive led.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost time for water....tanks in gotta plumb the sump which is currently in shed filled with water hoping for no leaks...
343d9c34a30b41039d0941afff76dcd5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Looks awesome
That's my ultimate goal after getting a house is make a in wall tank
Good job

Back