Lighting poll (MH)

What bulbs do you prefer

• Total voters

APISTOBORELLI

Bass in pic swam away
Which do you prefer. I have all 3 and have seen all 3 in action. Not sure what I like better. Help me decide.

My opinion:

20K - too unnaturally blue and generally looks dim

10K without fluorescent supplementation - too yellow

14K - haven't seen in person

10K with actinic and blue fluorescent supplementation - favorite so far, naturally bright white light with great color rendering. You also get a ton of output in the coral friendly spectral band.

What brand bulbs of each do you have? I would recommend using which ever one has the lowest par value just to make acclimation easier.

The 10K bulb is the coralife one I got from Guy. The 20K are XM (I think). I'm not too sure about the 14K.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to go with the 10K because it's the newest bulb I have. It would also seem that the majority of users here prefer the 10K as well.

10K without fluorescent supplementation - too yellow

A good 10K bulb shouldnt look yellow, at all.

Do a water change, and compare the water you pulled out of the tank to freshly mixed saltwater. If you can tell the difference, thats why 10Ks make your tank look yellow.

The yellow look is all relative. Stare at a 10k tank with actinic fluorescents, then turn the fluorescents off.....it'll look yellow compared to when they were on.

I have a 10k Ushio 150k DE and it definitely has a very blue cast to it. But, the corals do not flouresce like they do in other people's tank that have actinic supplementation. A real bummer.

Back