lighting question with tank sizes

jfourn83

Non-member
currently i have a 90 gallon set up and i do not like where the tank is. so i figure why move it when i can upgrade.... 2 options a 125 or a 120..... for lighting i have a 4' current sunpod 2x250 and a 4' current sundail 4x54 t5...... could i run both fixtures over the 120 ..... tank is 24'' across and both fixtures are around 10-12''..... and with the 125 can i run both fixtures using cross bars in the canopy?? obviously the 125 has 2 braces and i need to work around that........is there any problems that im over looking?

Are there any supplemental lighting with the sunpod? I think if you line up both the sunpod and sundial together, you might get some light bleeding over the front and/or back of the tank.

Coral type and placement would have to be taken into account also.

IMO the dual 250 over a 120 will be fine for anything you would keep. You could just change out your bulbs for a bluer or whiter bulb depending on what you want it too look like. Sell the T5 setup for the new bulbs..... Over a 6' tank not sure these would be the best 'fit"

Id keep it all. I run dual 250s and 4 t5s over a 90 and if I were to go a bit bigger I'd probably try to keep the same setup. If it is all going to be in a hood, maybe scoot it all to one end and just buy one more pendant and PFO ballast to run over the last bit of tank. Either way, I'm sure it will look great. I would keep the T5s just since I think they give you the ability to fine tune your light color a bit.

I don't know if you shoold put those fixtures in side an enclosed canopy. I thought they were built to just go over the tank. If the fans don't get enough air you might have a heat problem. But maby yours are designed to. Just throwing it out there.

Never know how you're gonna like it until you give it a shot :)

You'll be fine with the 250s over a 120. That's what I had over my 120 but I also had T5s (2 in the front and 2 in the back) for supplemental lighting as dawn and dusk effects.

the t5 fixture is ment to go in canopys the fans are on the back of the fixture...... not the sunpod though.... id build the canopy around the sunpod though maybe open top or something with extra fans..... i love the color of my t5s im running 2 blue+ 1 blue special and i love the look of my last bulb the figi purple, they really pop the reds and pinks... which you can not get with just the mh

Back